Trusted Contributor

Re: Science fiction programs

Firefly and Serenity are really good, one of my favorites in the genre for sure.

I like Dark Matter so far and hope that its renewed. 

In movies science fiction has some good ones.  Anything that is taken from the writings of Philip K. ****** is really good.  If you google Philip K. ****** movies, it comes up and there are some great ones there for sure.  My personal favorites are Minority Report, Imposters and The Adjustment Bureau. 

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

The Librarians TV series returns this November. If you missed the first season, it's a series based on The Librarian movies and Noah Wyle is in it. He had a limited role last season but now that Falling Skies is over, he may be showing up more often.

i remember reading an article in which he said he had asked his son whether he should do the Falling Skies show with the aliens, or something else (could have been the new Librarians series) and the son chose the aliens.  Looks like now he gets to do both.  

I saw him in the series last season but wasn't impressed once he wasn't there.  It seemed a little lightweight without him, although I did like the cast for the most part.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I do too. My daugher wants me to see American Horror  Story"....is it worth watchng?

How old is your daughter? There are some graphic violent and sexual scenes in AHS. That's why I asked. 

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

If you enjoyed V, you might like Falling Skies. This series on TNT just ended last night after 5 seasons. Falling Skies is a show that takes place after an alien invasion and it was very good.

If you enjoyed Stargate, you might like Dark Matter. Dark Matter just finished it's first season on SyFy. It hasn't been renewed yet, but I hope it is. It's based on a comic book by Dark Horse Comics and the people behind the TV series were creators and writers on the various Stargate TV series. Dark Matter is really good with complex characters, a strong cast, and great writing.

If you like "space westerns," you might enjoy Firefly and Killjoys. Firefly was a fantastic space cowboy show that was canceled after only 1 season but is still a cult favorite. Killjoys is a Canadian show that just finished airing its first season on SyFy this month. It hasn't yet been renewed, but I really hope it is. Killjoys also has great writing and an excellent cast.

I love and own Firefly (and the movie Serenity), and love Falling Skies (as well as Noah Wyle's earlier fantasy TNT movie "series" The Librarian).  I haven't caught up yet to the new SyFy series Dark Matter or Killjoys.  I tend to order them on DVD later on.  Thank you for the recommendation summary.  I am waiting for Z Nation to return on SyFy, though on Sept. 11.  Not aliens, just regular zombies.

If you liked Fireflythen you will probably like Dark Matter, as the two shows have similar character-driven plots.  I wasn't able to get through an episode of Killjoys.  I liked Roswell.  I think it was probably intended for a teen-aged audience, but I liked it anyway, just as I liked Buffy and Angel.

Respected Contributor

Also, if you haven't watched Fringe in a while, it's worth viewing again.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone remember Dark Angel, with Jessica Alba?

I really enjoyed that series.  It took place in the future after an electromagnetic pulse took out all computer and communications systems.  She played an "enhanced" human.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@sfnative Congratulations! You are moved in?

i have been thinking about you-- is there a thread where I can reliably catch up with you?

i gravitate toward syfy shows... And medical dramas, far fetched as most are these days!

used to never miss an episode of Twilight Zone!

@LTT1

Hi Loves,

Yes, we-are-moved!  Our granddaughter had a ball today when she came over, as this place is huge and has an open plan, so lots of space to run. She was hilarious!

Re a thread where I can be found - I've been bouncing around here and there, so not really planted.  Given that situation, I just brought forward "Are you falling apart?" in "Wellness" and mentioned some pretty hefty health stuff going on with me now.  Think I'll call that my home base.

Hope to "see" you soon.

~Rebecca

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sfnative  Thanks and YAY for the discussion strand!  I will be sure to find you there and read up!Heart

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

One program I really enjoy is Haven on SiFi...DW

Respected Contributor

Star Trek  and the Original Twilight Zone and Outer Limits.  A stepping stone for so many stars!  Babalon5, Firefly for sure.  Andromeda, the first few seasons (and what was with all the Boston refrences in that show?)  Farscape is worth watching and if you have ever seen the british series Blakes Seven you will see a lot of similarities between the two.  If you are in the mood for artsy sifi and are willing to sit and watch for a while, check out another British series Saphire and Steel.  Odd but good.  Nice camera work and you get to see a younger "Ducky" Mallard.   On a not rigidly SiFi -SiFi show I like Red Dwarf, just for the fun ot it.