Honored Contributor

Scenes cut from Endeavour Season 6 Episode 1

[ Edited ]

Out of curiosity, I watched Endeavour episode and yes there were some scenes cut.  Here are some of the missing scenes. In opening scene, they showed a commercial acted out by Commander Bright with some children.  He was there to introduce a street crossing with a side kick, a Live Pelican.  Stands for Pedestrian Light Controlled Crossing.  For kids going to school crossing the street. That will explain the later scene with the policemen laughing,  Also cut was a pivotal scene that got Morse to the child's library and that road.  The bus driver tells Morse he let a child take a earlier stop to get to the library.  The bus driver told the child how to get to the short cut.  So that explains Morse finding that road and the library.   There a few other cuts but not as major as those two.  

I don't know why Masterpiece theatre continues to cut these shows.  Watching this show, you had too pay extra attention to the details before figuring out what was going on.  Those that had never seen the original UK epoisode would have been a little confused.

Honored Contributor

Re: Scenes cut from Endeavour Season 6 Episode 1

This cutting PBS does is, in essence, cheating us, treating as less deserving than the British. I have told them just that every time they ask for a donation. They won't get a dime.

Super Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Out of curiosity, I watched Endeavour episode and yes there were some scenes cut.  Here are some of the missing scenes. In opening scene, they showed a commercial acted out by Commander Bright with some children.  He was there to introduce a street crossing with a side kick, a Live Pelican.  Stands for Pedestrian Light Controlled Crossing.  For kids going to school crossing the street. That will explain the later scene with the policemen laughing,  Also cut was a pivotal scene that got Morse to the child's library and that road.  The bus driver tells Morse he let a child take a earlier stop to get to the library.  The bus driver told the child how to get to the short cut.  So that explains Morse finding that road and the library.   There a few other cuts but not as major as those two. 

I don't know why Masterpiece theatre continues to cut these shows.  Watching this show, you had too pay extra attention to the details before figuring out what was going on.  Those that had never seen the original UK epoisode would have been a little confused.

Thanks so much for pointing this out to those of us who haven't watched episode 1 yet.  I prefer to watch on Roku pbs app...tonight!

Honored Contributor

While I wasn't confused and followed the story, I do not know why scenes are cut.  I can understand your frustration with this but in my opinion nothing takes the excellence out of watching Masterpiece Theater and Mystery.  While at times the storyline may be confusing it always comes together at the end and if you can follow the storyline without knowing if any scenes are cut, than it doesn't make a difference to me. Just my opinion.

If you do find out why scenes are cut, please post the reasons. Enjoy the day and thanks for the information!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

While I wasn't confused and followed the story, I do not know why scenes are cut.  I can understand your frustration with this but in my opinion nothing takes the excellence out of watching Masterpiece Theater and Mystery.  While at times the storyline may be confusing it always comes together at the end and if you can follow the storyline without knowing if any scenes are cut, than it doesn't make a difference to me. Just my opinion.

If you do find out why scenes are cut, please post the reasons. Enjoy the day and thanks for the information!

PBS has a very long history of cutting scenes.  From the original Miss Marple stories to Downton Abbey, they have been busy trimming British shows.  The main reason is for time.  They are only allowed two hours.  Those scenes that go over are cut.  Most of the time they try to edit and make the cut so it will make sense to the story that's left, but sometimes it doesn't. A major complaint was fired at PBS because of Victoria.  Large chunks of that show was cut. Victoria was an extremely popular show.  Currently coming out are the DVD versions you can get on Amazon for Endeavour and Victoria (for that matter) .  Most of the DVD's have the full content.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @songbird for the scenes.

Much appreciated.

So what's filling in that extra air time? More of their never-ending pleas for $$donations? Surely not ads telling me about upcoming shows. I can find that info in the TV listings.

Honored Contributor

Thank you Songbird ! for your response and explanation.  I do understand and am not happy about the scene cuts because of time.  But as I said I will continue to watch as i am sure you and other fans will because it is still worthwhile TV in my opinion.  

I watch many other offerings on PBS also and enjoy the channel.  Even when there are pledge breaks I watch because it is usually a great program.  I just DVR the program and fast forward through that time.  

Thanks again for your kind reply and information, it is appreciated!!  

Esteemed Contributor

I was very happy that Endeavor was back!!!  

Unfortunately, scenes from many of their programs are deleted for the American audience.  The 60 minute program becomes 45 with the remainder of the hour filled by opioid conversations, Auntiques Roadshow blips, or donation requests.  While I enjoy PBS programming, I have noticed a decline in continuity of programming.  It was especially noticeable with the laxt season of Victoria.  

I did enjoy Endeavor last night, however, the deleted scenes were important to the content and flow of the episode.

Valued Contributor

My PBS station has several sub-channels that re-broadcast Masterpiece in the overnight hours.

I recorded both airings of Endeavour and noticed that the scenes cut from the prime-time show were included in the overnight airing at 1:30 am. There were fewer "extraneous things" at the beginning and end of the program.

Not sure if they always handle it this way.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72  Thanks, If the overnight isn't cut, I'm willing to wait for it.

If people stopped donating and let them know it was because of their editing, they would stop.

It does matter, if it didn't why include the scenes for the British.