Respected Contributor

2 that I have enjoyed are:

Cold Creek Manor

&

What Lies Beneath

What are your favorites?

Respected Contributor

My favorite is the old, (1963) black and white original, The Haunting with Julie Harris.  

This movie scared the bejeepers out of me when I was young.  Heck, it still does!  I do not want to say much so as not to spoil it for anyone that has not seen it.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

Rosemary's Baby, although I haven't seen it for awhile.

The Shining

And of course Psycho, took me a long time before I could watch that one by myself.

Honored Contributor

Don't have any as I won't watch them.  I watch a movie for laughs and enjoyment.  I like mysteries and suspense, but I don't like horror and being scared.

Respected Contributor

I saw Psycho in the theater with my cousins when I was 9, it scared all of us. Also saw The Birds with them, we were scared too but during the cafe scene a shaking hand was overfilling a coffee cup & a kid yelled, There's only a cup & a half of flavor!...everyone in the theater laughed & we made it through the rest of the movie without covering our eyes. Still enjoy watching both.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Scary Movies Revisited

[ Edited ]

" Hunchback of Notre Dame "  1939 Charles Laughten & Maureen O'Hara (silent film)

" "Phantom of the Opera " 1925  Lon Chaney & Mary Philibin ( silent)

" Dr Jekyll & Mt Hyde "  1931 Fredric March  & Miriam Hopkins

" The Haunting "  1963  Julie Harris & Claire Bloom

"The Strangers "   2008 Liv Tyler

" The Texas Chainsaw Massacre "  1974 

" The Others "   2001  Nicole Kidman

" The Thing "    1982  John Carpenter's version with Kurt Russell

" Alien "  1979  Signourney Weaver

" Prometheus "   2012   Noomi Rapace

" Wolf Creek "  2005

These are some that gave me a  scare. Of course the Exorcist and The Shining . After I saw  the Exorcist  ,  the sound of the Exorcist theme song ( Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield ) that was played frequently on the radio  was really scary.   The Chainsaw massacre mvie of 1974 was really scary .

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Psycho

"The Haunting" (The original with Julie Harris)

"The Innocents" (1961 film with Deborah Kerr)

"The Shining"

"Alien"

"The Dunwich Horror"

I didn't think "Rosemary's Baby" was scary. I thought it was very sad. I felt sorry for her and I wanted to strangle John Cassavetes. I never liked him after I saw that movie!

Back in the 70s I heard a 3 minute spoof of "The Exorcist" by Richard Pryor and I could never watch that movie without bursting into hysterics. That man was so funny and he absolutely ruined the scare value of that movie for me! 

Trusted Contributor

Love Love Love Horror Movies.

Two that I didn't see mentioned are "Jeeper Creepers"

and "Carrie'  When that hand came up from the grave

my heart skipped a few beats. lol

Honored Contributor

"Night of the Living Dead," 1968

And of course the Htchcock films, Psycho (1960) and The Birds.(1963).

Respected Contributor

@Jackhound Mom I remember seeing Let's Scare Jessica To Death as a child and Psycho both gave me a few sleepless nights.  We had a theater in our little town in TN that had a "Dracula matinee and a guy named SIVAD appeared.  We later learned his real name was Davis and he too was spooky but we all received autographed pictures.