Super Contributor

Re: Saying Goodbye to TV forums

I've seen many threads "hijacked" and become a conversation between two or three posters about whats going on in their lives. It happens in all of the forums, not just TV talk. I simply just scroll down until I find a reply that is about the original thread. Sometimes though I do find the comments to be either funny or interesting.

The thing about posting a new discussion that is already there is sometimes a person just doesn't see the other thread or have done a search and nothing comes up. I find the search engine here to be ridiculous as there have been many times (even in advance search) that I have come up empty handed. I once searched for my own thread just to see if I could find it through the search engine and came up with nothing!! Of course I knew how to find it using "my activity", but just wanted to see if I could find it using the search.

Sometimes a break from one forum can be a good thing. Hopefully at some point Hooty you will come back in and enjoy it. Never go to any forum that has become tedious for you. Life is too short to go places that annoy you.

Hooty I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Best Wishes

VickiSmile

Esteemed Contributor

Hooty, don't go!!!??. Who will keep me up to date on upcoming shows I love??? Take a break if you must but do come back! LM

Super Contributor

I don't post often because of work commitments but I wouldn't let anyone dictate what I do. I have always enjoyed your posts so reconsider. Like others have stated I don't always see a topic that was started previously it just happens.

Respected Contributor

Hooty, I hope you reconsider. I enjoy our conversations about The Leftovers.

I haven't been in here much because of all the reruns over the holidays.

Honored Contributor

I already posted and begged you not to go. However, I'm not too proud to ask you again not to leave us.

You provide such good insight into so many shows. I know you help me out with things I don't understand.....OK, there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Hooty are you going to leave me hanging here?

Honored Contributor

hooty, I value your opinions ('cause they're so much like mine, {#emotions_dlg.laugh}) and I hate to see you go but I totally get it.

Respected Contributor

On 1/9/2015 annabellethecat said:

I already posted and begged you not to go. However, I'm not too proud to ask you again not to leave us.

You provide such good insight into so many shows. I know you help me out with things I don't understand.....OK, there are a lot of things I don't understand.

Hooty are you going to leave me hanging here?

She said in post #4 she needed a break we all have been there having those let down days...

We are all flawed our worst part is expecting thing to be what we think it will be, but when we stop ponder for a while was that really realistic...

Sadly we have to remind one another those days we need a little cheering up!

Return as soon as possible Hooty...

Super Contributor

I concur completely, Hooty, having experienced similar sentiments on a number of occasions. Launching competing threads about previously established topics is a demonstration of poor netiquette. It's discourteous and disrespectful. How difficult is it to take a few seconds to scroll down or search to confirm whether the subject matter has been addressed elsewhere?

It's that sort of behavior that prompted me to leave TV Talk for several months last summer. When I returned, I found that nothing had changed. In fact, things hadn't improved, but in many cases, it was far worse. Not only were some individuals launching competing threads on the same topic, but also hijacking the original discussion to further their own agendas. It's interesting to note that often by the second post, the thread had veered off wildly on some ridiculous tangent, with absurd non-sequiturs that became the focus, rather than the original intent of the topic under discussion.

It simply became too irritating and frustrating. For that reason, my last post was November 20, 2014. Since then, I've visited this Forum twice, only to read for a few minutes, but not to post.

Perhaps it was serendipity that prompted me to see this thread. You expressed my feelings precisely. Like you, Hooty, I'm done. I, too, am through.

Honored Contributor

I genuinely don't understand. Sometimes I start a new thread because the Heading would be a date, like, "Y&R spoiler and then the date" and I paused and thought people would get upset if I posted how much I dislike what happened say two days after that.

I know zip about etiquette on forums. This is the only website I post on (other than sometimes (not very often) facebook. I didn't think this was the same as facebook anyway.

Please either you (Hooty) or keri explain examples. If I am doing (which I suspect I must be) what is wrong, I want to not do it.

Thanks. I don't want more people to leave this TV forum. I enjoy all of your posts.

Esteemed Contributor

Haven't posted in a while but have been reading. I still don't understand what the problem is if someone does not see that a thread has already been started. I for one would not think about searching but at the same time, I have never started a thread lol.

In one of the cases, I saw where shesallthat started a thread about Beau's death(Brock) at 2:04 and on the same day Hooty started one about the same topic at 2:55. That I saw of course.

These topics go by so fast that you just cant keep up.

Lets enjoy ourselves