Honored Contributor

Travolta explained in the special that in some of the dance scenes they wanted to shoot him frim the waist up, he forbade that saying when you do that it is an automatic hint to the audience that you are not doing your own dancing, He worked so hard to learn to dance he insisted his entire body be seen on screen in the dance numbers. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Saturday Night Fever

[ Edited ]

I, too, love this film and music.

Today, just ran across "100 Movies Dance Scenes Mashup" on Pinterest, which featured "SNF" and "Grease" (along with everyhing from Charlie Chaplin to Gene Kelly, Julie Andrews, animated and modern) in 4:48 minutes.

Check it out on youtube, it's a hoot!

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

I remember waiting in line to see that movie when it came out. The line was a block long! Loved the movie then and still do. Love the Bee Gees too. Saw them in concert way back when! Whats funny is my husband who is also a movie buff, never saw the movie, and he wont watch it. I dont know why? lol. I keep telling him to try watching it. (I own it so he can watch it anytime)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Valued Contributor

I too remember waiting on a block-long line to see this movie.  I loved it but when I later thought about it, it really had a depressing plot.  My friend and I went to the club where it was filmed.  What a dump!!!  It's amazing what they did with lighting and scenery.  Walked in...and walked out. Hardly anyone was there and we decided we didn't want to be there either.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The movie came out when I was a senior in high school. All the girls couldn't stop talking about how great the movie was and how smoking hot Travolta was. I remember watching it and being mesmerized with the dance moves.

I've probably watched the movie a hundred times; it brings back good high school memories. A few years ago I bought the  DVD for $3.

The soundtrack is fantastic, I had that on an 8-track tape. Ah, the good old days of 8-track tapes when the song at the end of one track would fade out and continue playing on the next track. My favorite song was If I can't have you by Yvonne Elliman.

The best dance scene .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT2daisxdvA

That's Fran Drescher (The Nanny) in the beginning of the scene dancing with Travolta. It was her acting debut.

Related image

Trusted Contributor

Definately on my top 20 movies of all time!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt wrote:

The movie came out when I was a senior in high school. All the girls couldn't stop talking about how great the movie was and how smoking hot Travolta was. I remember watching it and being mesmerized with the dance moves.

I've probably watched the movie a hundred times; it brings back good high school memories. A few years ago I bought the  DVD for $3.

The soundtrack is fantastic, I had that on an 8-track tape. Ah, the good old days of 8-track tapes when the song at the end of one track would fade out and continue playing on the next track. My favorite song was If I can't have you by Yvonne Elliman.

The best dance scene .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT2daisxdvA

That's Fran Drescher (The Nanny) in the beginning of the scene dancing with Travolta. It was her acting debut.

Related image

LOVE it!

I'm the same age as Travolta and loved him in Kotter as Vinnie Barbarino and then in SNF!

Back then my boyfriend hated disco so I would go dancing and to clubs with my girlfriends!...good memories! Smiley Happy . I agree it's a fantastic soundtrack!  Too bad most of the Bee Gees have passed.

Honored Contributor

The original print was R rated, then a few months later they came out with a PG version so that younger teens could enjoy it. 

Honored Contributor

Fran Drescher had only one line in the film, and that was

Are you as good in bed ,as you are on the dance floor?

Honored Contributor

When i firs t saw the movie little did I know that in my early married years I would become a Brooklyn girl and be very familar with the streets he walked down. My hubby claims he was at 2001 Odessey somewhere in the years before we met

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.