Honored Contributor

Sanditon cancelled after it's premier in the U.S.

[ Edited ]

The decision of the show's creators before it premiered here in the U.S.

Sanditon  was based on an unfinished novel by Jane Austen.  She died before completing it.  Roughly 12 chapters were written.  It was published though.  Kind of a "make your own ending"    The original intent for the show was a multiple season story.  But they didn't have the audience in the U.K.  So the drama might end up mirroring the book.  The much publicized sexual content was pretty mild.  Yes, it's true.  Men did swim naked and lounged on the beach just as naked.  Women had to be in another side of the beach swimming  fully clothed from head to toes. Best part was the introduction of a black West Indian character created by Austen. Good acting and a hot leading man.  The shipping name of the two leads Sidney & Charlotte was "Sidlotte"in the UK.   Very funny.  But the show will not survive. the lasted news is that the show might continue of it's successful on PBS.  But it's doubtful. 

Super Contributor

I watched the first episode on PBS Sunday night.  My take away was it was just OK and not sure if I would watch again.  Nothing grabed me as being very interesting about the show.  I may watch one more episode just to see if it gets any better.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sanditon cancelled after it's premier in the U.S.

@songbird 

I watched the first episode, but not sure I'll tune in again.

Nothing about it made me want to know more.

Found the store line a bit confusing, but I wasn't really paying close attention.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@songbird 

I watched the first episode, but not sure I'll tune in again.

Nothing about it made me want to know more.

Found the store line a bit confusing, but I wasn't really paying close attention.

The book has a good ratings in Good Reads.  The loved the plot.  I think there were so many characters introduced, that it became a little confusing keeping them apart.  I loved the book plot.  Shame Austen could not finish it.  She died about a month or so after she stopped writing. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

The main character in the episode on PBS was a RINGER for Meghan Markle!  If you tuned in, didn't you think that?

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

The main character in the episode on PBS was a RINGER for Meghan Markle!  If you tuned in, didn't you think that?

Yes I did!  Her hair is somewhat lighter.  By the way a new major character will be introduced in the second part.  She will be the other women in Sidney's past.  This charater was created by Austen.  In real life, she's married to the lead  Theo James (Sidney)

Respected Contributor

Not surprised.  The show was beyond boring.

Respected Contributor

I recorded the episode Sunday, but now I might not bother to watch. 

Respected Contributor

I liked Sandition and will continue watching until it is no longer an option.

Respected Contributor

I guess I am in the minority as I quite enjoyed it so hope it continues.