Honored Contributor

Sandition New Jane Austen coming to PBS

[ Edited ]

Back in 1817, Jane Austen was writing her last novel.  She died before she could finish the novel.  The title is Sandition.  She only wrote 12 chapters of it.  So PBS decided to do a mini series based on this unfinished novel.  Being unfinished, PBS is free to throw in Sex & Violence & Rock n Roll.  ala Austen subdued version. Actually they will take good liberties.  Since part of the book will take place in the West Indies, at least one black female character will be around.  The main character is impoverished, but energetic (this is Austin....of course she is!) young heroin Charlotte Heywood And romance in the form of a handsome (of course) young man Sydney  Parker.  It will be set in South East England, by the sea.

Austin never wrote about anything that happened in her real life time.  Although she led a very turbulent life (a cousin went to the guillotine) she never wrote about any class of people other then her own.  alhtough she never married, she had at least two serious romances.  Was engaged at one point, but broke it off several days later. This version will take liberties, perhaps examining the sexual, social and racial world in the very early 1800s.  It's not clear when this will broadcast, but the producer of the show said PBS will continue to produce period pieces.  PBS is fighting Britbox, Acorn, etc.  in showing period shows.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sandition New Jane Austen coming to PBS

PBS often does a good job with such things but I've often found the casting of some of the classic novels and period pieces they opt to do disappointing. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

PBS often does a good job with such things but I've often found the casting of some of the classic novels and period pieces they opt to do disappointing. 

I agree about the casting.  Some have a lot to be desired.  While ITV set about casting Colin Firth, etc.  But some productions had some really good acting.  This show sounds promising and although it won't be true Austen, it should entertain. 

Honored Contributor

Speaking of not true Austin, I wish someone would do quality productions of the several 'faux' Austin mysteries written by Stephanie Barron. These period mystery novels were fun reads and pretty authentic in style.

Honored Contributor

I am aware of this series and will be watching.  I have been a long time fan of Masterpiece theater and mysteries and I rarely do not like what is offered.  The acting is excellent, the settings are magnificent and the story lines keep me focused without distraction.  

I always look forward to new series and often watch old series I have seen..  It is quality TV for me and I hope PBS continues, it is such a breath of fresh air.

Esteemed Contributor

Off-topic, I know, but I am wondering if anyone can give me opinions of Britbox vs. Acorn.  I do receive an Acorn catalog, which I save for a reference to the various Brit series available.  

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Speaking of not true Austin, I wish someone would do quality productions of the several 'faux' Austin mysteries written by Stephanie Barron. These period mystery novels were fun reads and pretty authentic in style.

I haven't read them, but PBS did a god awful version with Lizzie & Darcy as sluthes.  The book was bad too.  There is no copyright on Jane Austen.  You can write as many Austen books as you want.  Either as Romance, Mystery Sci Fi, you name it.  It's way past the 100 year mark on copyrgiht.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@songbird wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I haven't read them, but PBS did a god awful version with Lizzie & Darcy as sluthes.  The book was bad too.  There is no copyright on Jane Austen.  You can write as many Austen books as you want.  Either as Romance, Mystery Sci Fi, you name it.  It's way past the 100 year mark on copyrgiht.  

@songbird You might want to check them out. This author did a ton of research and bases the mysteries, albeit loosely, on Austen's actual life, family and contacts. She also offers copious foot notes to elucidate a good bit of informaton for the reader. The language usage is vintage Austin so they can, at times, be a bit cumbersome but overall they are wonderful. There are one or two that were a bit lacking but most of them were great reading. They're best read in order, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Honored Contributor

@songbird @stevieb @PamfromCT @spiderw 

Watching Sandition on the Masterpiece site.  I just finished episode 4.  I'm enjoying it, and it's better than other choices on tv.

It doesn't have the focus on life that Downton did, this movie is more about personalities and how they interact with the customs of the time.

Honored Contributor

ECBG

I am glad you are enjoying Sandition, it is another excellent offering from Masterpiece Theater.  You are right on the mark when you say it is a better choice than other shows on TV.  Since the seventies Masterpiece has been a show which rarely disappoints.