Valued Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

...I saw that PBS show on him a few months ago.  Eye opening with what he had to deal with.  A great talent!

Yeah, I watched the documentary a few nights ago, and it was truly eye-opening (no pun intended) - He overcame so many obstacles, and became a great entertainer IMO. Heart

Honored Contributor

I could not care less about the Rat Pack, but Sammy was wonderful!  Have you watched old videos of him and James Brown?  Now that's entertainment!  Those guys were good! 

Esteemed Contributor

Check out a movie he did with the late great Gregory Hines in Tap.  I love, love that movie.  In the film SDJ played an old time hoofer who could do his thing.  Love story for sure, but it was about one thing, Mr. Davis was known for and that was his tap dancing!!!  Gregory Hines too......

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@amyb I read The book about his life when I was a teen. I do not remember if it was autobiography or biography either . The title was 'YesI Can '(?) I remember enjoying it. My husband has watched and talks about some old western series --the Rifleman ?--where he played a hired gun . He was talented.

Honored Contributor

I can thank him for my quiting smoking COLD TURKEY on the very day he passed away from throat cancer due to his smoking in 1990.

From that day forward I never had another cigarette. He saved my life as I was a two pack a day smoker at the time at age 31. .   I felt it was a miracle of sorts that I quit with such determination and never looked back. Now age 66, I will always be grateful to him for making me aware of the fact that we are in control of our health and well being and we can make positive changes to live healthier lives.

Honored Contributor

Excellence in singing, dancing, acting, Sammy Davis Jr. had it all in the talent field.  His life wasn't always easy but he managed to overcome many difficulties and go on to be one of the greats.  I saw the PBS documentary a couple of times and enjoyed .  It gave insight to not only a legend in entertainment but to a man who overcame much.

Honored Contributor

SeaMaiden

As a former smoker I can appreicate your post and how it came about.  Thanks for sharing. 

Frequent Contributor

I first became aware of him at age 12  when his version of 'What Kind of Fool Am I' was on the radio a lot.  It is beautiful.  Yes, I have always been a big fan too!  Multi talented.

Honored Contributor

@dylanfan wrote:

I first became aware of him at age 12  when his version of 'What Kind of Fool Am I' was on the radio a lot.  It is beautiful.  Yes, I have always been a big fan too!  Multi talented.

@dylanfan 

Yes!

And I could listen to this one all day long.

Sammy Davis Jr. - The Shelter Of Your Arms (1963, Vinyl) | Discogs

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~