Honored Contributor

Re: Sammy Davis Jr.: I’ve Gotta Be Me

I thought Sinatra gave him money when he lost his eye.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow.

I enjoy the American Masters series.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

They play a lot of Sammy on the Siriusly Sinatra channel and his version of the Birth of the Blues is a show stopper.  I never tire of hearing it (and am glad they play it often).

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I thought the documentary was well done. Sammy had a tough and sad life, I didn't realize most of it. Times were different then but I didn't like how racist the jokes were and how they made Sammy the butt of their jokes. I wonder if he went along with it but on the inside hated all of it. Also, why was Sammy uninvited to the Kennedy inaugural when Harry Belafonte wasn't ( both men were married to white women)? Why didn't Sinatra stand up for him?

Honored Contributor

Harry was invited to the inaugural but Sammy was not.  They said there was more to it than just being married to a white woman, that Joseph Kennedy was concerned about the death threats to Sammy for marrying May Britt.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Jordan2   To add to what @VaBelle35  posted, it said in the doc that Sammy & May's marriage created a lot more controversy than Harry B's and his wife's which is why Sammy & May were uninvited.  If I were Sammy, I would not have remained friends with Frank since Frank was a good friend of Jack's at that time and didn't stick up for Sammy.

I watched the doc and learned some things.  I remember well when Sammy married May, but had no idea he and Kim Novak had ever been "an item."  I didn't like that Sammy had "indiscretions" while married to May and didn't give up his partying life even though he was married and had two kids with her (neither did the rest of the Rat Pack I'll bet, but still....).  

I loved the segment near the end of his life during the tribute where we got to see Gregory Hines and Sammy both tap dancing.  I remember when tap dancing was big entertainment on TV as well as elsewhere.  It was interesting to me to see the two great dancers' different styles.  Even being sick with cancer, Sammy was a bundle of energy while dancing.  Hines was always more laid back.  While Sammy's dancing was always frenetic, Gregory Hines made it look so natural - just like part of his natural movements - he made it look so easy.  Both men and their styles were great, each in their own way. But they did have different tap styles.

@Jordan2   my first thought was the same as yours when I saw the degrading things being done with Sammy as the black member of the Rat Pack.  But then I tried to put it more into the context of the times.   Self-deprecating jokes about minorities - which would be horrid jokes today - were just starting out back then.  Richard Pryor was very self-deprecating in his humor and it was quite shocking at the time.  I think the humor about race started out as deprecating back then close to 60 yrs. ago and things were done and said that would not be tolerated today.  They did say in the doc that Sammy loved the rest of the Rat Pack and he loved them.  Nevertheless, I did cringe at some of the things they said to Sammy.  

He was an enormous talent. I didn't realize how young he started out in show business, and I really enjoyed seeing those early clips of him as a little boy, dancing and singing up a storm.  Entertaining was the only life he ever knew.  I also thought it interesting that he regretting not having gone to school (he was working as a child) and it's amazing how articulate and well read he became on his own.

Honored Contributor

I had no idea that he never went to school a day in his life.

I'm wondering how he was able to learn how to read.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Decades ago we were in Las Vegas and had tix to see Paul Anka.  For some reason the show was cancelled and Sammy Davis was the substitute.  After some hesitation we decided to see him. 

Without any doubt he was the greatest performer we have ever seen anywhere.  For 2 hours he was on stage with a 3 piece combo and there was not a dull minute.  No gimmicks, no special effects.  Just pure talent.  Our only regret is we only got to see him once.

DH and I still talk about that performance.

In his most recent show, Paul Anka does a segment featuring Sammy Davis Jr. They were very good friends.

Honored Contributor

Another thing I learned...and admired about him.  He was treated abominally while in the army - he endured a lot of racism.  Yet later he wanted to entertain the troops in Viet Nam to show his appreciation for their service and make their experience better than his.

It's amazing that he wasn't a bitter man from all the indignities he suffered, but he sure didn't seem to be.  He had a "sunny" disposition, despite all that he endured.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks Jordan2 for posting about the show on Sammy Davis Jr. I saw it last night and I learned so much more about his life. I grew up listening to his songs on the radio and seeing him on TV. My favorite songs from Sammy are "Candyman and Ive gotta be me".

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • I loved him.  I like the all in the family weres he gave Archie a kiss on the cheek.  I did not like the treatment he got in the service, but he  was not a bitter man.  It wasn,t just RACISM back in the 40,s and 50,s.  I was called a Dago or a Wop.  Didn,t bother me.  If. You were Irish, you were called a Mick. .Everyone had slang for whatever ethnic group you belong. yet as kids, we all played in the streets together.  It was just a different time than today.  My kindle is acting up and I can,t go back and correct the punctuation.  Sorry.