Honored Contributor

Sammy Davis Jr.: I’ve Gotta Be Me

This is an American Masters biography airing on Tuesday February 19 at 9:00 on PBS (check your local listings). From the TV Guide “ Was there ever an entertainer as complicated as Sammy Davis Jr.? Versatile and prodigiously talented in song and dance from childhood, he crossed color lines into the mainstream as a charter member of the Rat Pack. But as an undereducated Jewish African-American who married a white woman in the 1960s (Swedish actress May Britt), he never felt entirely accepted by any community. Such a polarizing lightening rod that he was disinvited to JFK’s inaugural gala, Davis later confounded his fans by accepting the embrace of the Nixon administration. I’ve Gotta Be Me, a sensational American Masters biography, revels in the musical achievements and private paradox of a remarkable and pioneering Renaissance man who redefined show-business cool-until he didn’t. As a journalist Jason King notes, “He had a vision for himself that was bigger than black or white.” Billy Crystal marvels at his “unique blend of talent, insecurity, anger and perseverance.”  The film, teeming with performance and interview clips, acknowledges his range with subheadings of Prodigy, Impressionist, Singer, Survivor, Rebel, Leading Man, Activist, Patriot and, toward the end, anachronistic Hipster. His fascinating ride through cultural history”.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sammy Davis Jr.: I’ve Gotta Be Me

Truly a fascinating, conflicted, gifted performer.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Truly a fascinating, conflicted, gifted performer.

@Oznell

I read his autobiography years ago when it first came out.  And that was pretty much my conclusion.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember reading years ago when Sammy had throat cancer, Frank Sinatra gave him a million dollars to help w/expenses.  I hope this will be mentioned in the program.  I never knew if rumor or not.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Thank you for posting this.  I just set my DVR to record it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Decades ago we were in Las Vegas and had tix to see Paul Anka.  For some reason the show was cancelled and Sammy Davis was the substitute.  After some hesitation we decided to see him. 

Without any doubt he was the greatest performer we have ever seen anywhere.  For 2 hours he was on stage with a 3 piece combo and there was not a dull minute.  No gimmicks, no special effects.  Just pure talent.  Our only regret is we only got to see him once.

DH and I still talk about that performance.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I remember reading years ago when Sammy had throat cancer, Frank Sinatra gave him a million dollars to help w/expenses.  I hope this will be mentioned in the program.  I never knew if rumor or not.

@Mz iMac  I believe that story is true.I also read that after Sammy died the IRS came after his estate for non payment of taxes.Sinatra paid off the taxes so Altovese & her son wouldn’t be financially strapped.They were able to keep their house.

I was a huge fan of Sammy’s .He was one of the greatest all around talents in Show business history!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ

Thank you.  I also heard about Sinatra helping Altovese from becoming homeless.  The "son" w/Altoveese was adopted.  The only biological child Sammy had was a daughter w/Britt.

Growing up, my parents were always talking about Sammy Davis, Jr, his father & uncle as a song & dance team.  Sammy was famous since the age of 6 or 7 among the black community.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@NicksmomESQ

Thank you.  I also heard about Sinatra helping Altovese from becoming homeless.  The "son" w/Altoveese was adopted.  The only biological child Sammy had was a daughter w/Britt.

Growing up, my parents were always talking about Sammy Davis, Jr, his father & uncle as a song & dance team.  Sammy was famous since the age of 6 or 7 among the black community.

@Mz iMac Yes,there is a lot of mystery around their adopted son.He sure looked a lot like Sammy! Lol!

Respected Contributor

I’ve been looking forward to this documentary all month.