Esteemed Contributor

Sad update for my baby birds

A predator got them last night.  I am devastated.  I know I tried, I did my best, but this is just awful. 

Thank you all for following. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Re: Sad update for my baby birds

I'm sorry.  I know you are hurting right now.  Just know we are thinking about you with love.  You did your very best.

Super Contributor

MamaWick, I am so sorry.  I was looking for your update this morning and hoping for the best.  This is just terrible.  I know how hard you tried.  Is Mama bird okay, or did the predator get her too?

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry.  I know this was very upsetting as my dh and I have had a similar experience.  We got so attached in such a short time.  Woman Sad

It was so loving and wonderful of you to help them , the time you did.  Thank you for that.  I love kindness to animals and birds. Heart 

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Esteemed Contributor

MamaBird is okay.  She was there this morning just looking around.  Cedar waxwings are actually quite beautiful birds and the babies were starting to get their coloring. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Respected Contributor

I'm sorry to read this but I really believe they are singing heaven because why wouldn't they be.

Honored Contributor

I can only imagine your heartbreak.  I love cedar waxwings and feel especially sad for you after your devotion and care, and also for the species to have lost four new ones.

I hope this little story doesn't take away from your grief but I recall feeling heartbroken one year when I witnessed a sharp-shinned hawk swoop in (as fast as a bullet!) to snatch "my" baby doves from their nest.  The parents never nested in that tree again.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

I'm glad Mama bird is okay, but I'm sure she's very upset over the loss of her babies.

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Super Contributor

Mama,I have been reading about how you have so sweetly taken care of these litle birds.I am so sorry for your loss of them.

Respected Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of those lovely babies.

We had a recent experience with little ones, but with a much happier outcome.  We have a pair of house wrens that honestly believe we maintain this home for their living convenience.  Every year they build and furnish a fine nest in our garage, although she has also built in our Mardi Gras wreath on the front door and tried to nest in our Christmas tree inside.

This year, she chose the top of the spare tire under my van.  She let me know it was there by marching military style around the van any time I wanted to get to it, and letting me know I was in for trouble if I crossed her.   I finallly gave up. Knew the nest was under there somewhere, and soon began to hear cheeps coming from under the car.  I didn't get to drive for about three weeks. Happily, last week I went into the garage early one morning and was greeted by three of the little guys - mom and two babies.  All hopping around in the garage, ready to get outside and see the real world.  I had the oil changed yesterday and they removed the nest. Now all three are outside eating from the feeders. Daddy?  Well, he's obviously moved on for now.