Esteemed Contributor

Re: SWING TIME ON TCM WEDNESDAY

My fave is Shall we Dance- Fred and Ginger dance on rollerskates.

Respected Contributor

I love all the Astaire/Rogers except The Barclay's of Broadway.  Not my favorite, there is something about Ginger that I do not like.  I don't know if it's the way she looks pr her hair upswept like a crown or an attitude coming through  but it's the only one I won't re-watch.

Honored Contributor

Just watched it again. I thought it was very funny at the beginning when Lucky shows up at his fiancee's house after missing his own wedding and she and her father are mad at him and even the man painted in the  portrait scowls at him. Then when he goes off to make money and they aren't mad at him any more, the man in the portrait smiles at him 😄   Boy, Ricardo sure is smarmy.

I do like Top Hat better than this film. I think there is more action going at a brisker pace, and I love the cheek to cheek feather dress!

Esteemed Contributor

Ginger was a very last minute replacement for Judy Garland on Barkleys of Broadway due to Judy's personal issues once production had already started.   Ginger was a real trouper with that to help out Fred.

Trusted Contributor

Also: Two good movies on tonight to tape or watch...

Theodora Goes Wild with Irene Dunne and Melvyn Douglas...8:45 CST (1936)

Followed by: The Thin Man....with William Powell and Myrna Loy....the first one in the series of Nick and Nora Charles... (1934)

I can't count the number of times I have seen these. I love the movies from the 30's and 40's! Irene Dunne is one of my favorite actresses......

Enjoy! 

Honored Contributor

@TexasMom1 wrote:

Followed by: The Thin Man....with William Powell and Myrna Loy....the first one in the series of Nick and Nora Charles... (1934)

I can't count the number of times I have seen these. I love the movies from the 30's and 40's! Irene Dunne is one of my favorite actresses......

Enjoy! 

I always have to watch That Hamilton Woman too.

As I was watching Swing Time,I kept thinking how well their clothing was tailored, especially the tuxedos and the gowns. So when they danced their clothing always looked good. 

When I was a kid, I remember my Dad buying a suit. Then I watched the tailor marking up the suit with the chalk. I thought the suit was OK looking off the rack. But quickly changed my mind after the alterations were done. And saw how nicely it fit.

Now I notice the tailoring when I watch the old movies.And admire when it is a job well done.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@TexasMom1 wrote:

Enjoy! 

I always have to watch That Hamilton Woman too.

As I was watching Swing Time,I kept thinking how well their clothing was tailored, especially the tuxedos and the gowns. So when they danced their clothing always looked good. 

When I was a kid, I remember my Dad buying a suit. Then I watched the tailor marking up the suit with the chalk. I thought the suit was OK looking off the rack. But quickly changed my mind after the alterations were done. And saw how nicely it fit.

Now I notice the tailoring when I watch the old movies.And admire when it is a job well done.

@drizzellla  I was admiring the womens' gorgeous gowns as I watched, in a time when people "dressed for dinner."  I was thinking how every single one was still in style. My favorite was one near the end that Ginger wore where the entire back was bare except for two sequin criss-cross straps across her back.  

So stunning and glamorous!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote

@drizzellla  I was admiring the womens' gorgeous gowns as I watched, in a time when people "dressed for dinner."  I was thinking how every single one was still in style. My favorite was one near the end that Ginger wore where the entire back was bare except for two sequin criss-cross straps across her back.  

So stunning and glamorous!

I know what you mean. I couldn't keep my eyes off that gown. That gown "flowed" when they were dancing. 

I just looked up the Costume Designer, it was Bernard Newman to read more about him. 

He was said to have spent $250,000 on the gowns worn by Ginger Rogers and Irene Dunne in the musical Roberta (1935).

He was the favorite costume designer of Irene Dunne - upon whose recommendation he was signed by RKO - and Ginger Rogers. He designed gowns for nine of Rogers' films: Rafter Romance (1933), Roberta (1935), Star of Midnight (1935) Top Hat (1935), In Person (1935), Follow the Fleet (1936), Swing Time (1936), Vivacious Lady, (1938) and Tales of Manhattan (1942).
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla  Interesting! I'm not surprised he did Top Hat too since I loved those gowns as well.  I'm glad you knew the criss-cross straps gown I meant.

Wow! $250,000 was a super lot of money then!

Honored Contributor

Top Hat is on now Smiley Very Happy