Honored Contributor

SWEET MOVIE FOR MOTHER'S DAY, SUNDAY, 4:30 P.M. EASTERN, TCM

EXrDYgbWoAgOHgT.jpg

Quickie alert--    4:30 p.m. Eastern--  "I Remember Mama"   Irene Dunne, Barbara  Bel Geddes, Oscar Homolka, Phillip Dorn, Cedric Hardwicke, Edgar Bergen, Rudy Vallee, Barbara O'Neal, Florence Bates, Ellen Corby

The great director George Stevens lifts this material out of the potential for treacle, making this a heart-stirring evocation of family life.  Swedish immigrants in San Francisco struggle, fail, aspire and love.  Irene Dunne as "Mama" is radiant--  I'm thinking this may have been one of her best roles....

Love the scene of the "recipe", between Dunne and the great lady author!    

Trusted Contributor

Re: SWEET MOVIE FOR MOTHER'S DAY, SUNDAY, 4:30 P.M. EASTERN, TCM

TCM always shows this movie on Mother's Day. Very good choice.

Honored Contributor

I agree, Oznell, I Remember Mama is a great movie to celebrate Mother's Day !  It is a simple sweet good feeling movie which captures your heart.

In the fifties I watched the TV series which I loved.  I remember it being one of my weekly favorites at the time.

Happy Mother's Day to you and enjoy your day!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Love this movie!  "Mama" is the loving and supportive mother that every child ideally should have.  I loved Irene Dunne in every scene but was particularly influenced by her strength when Uncle Chris was dying.  She was a study in how to conduct oneself in such situations.  I admired her control of her emotions.

Beautiful feelings expressed throughout.

Esteemed Contributor

George Stevens attempted to coax Greta Garbo out of retirement for the film but of course she declined. 

It's one of those roles where it's now difficult to imagine someone else.

Respected Contributor

Can't believe that today was the first time I ever watched it.  Glad I did. (And the scenes between Candace Bergen's father and Grandma Walton were quite a treat.)