Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@Jackhound Mom, a friend of mine DID try out for next season.  I don't know if he was chosen.  But if he was, I will let everyone know.  He's quirky enough that he might just get picked.

I would never try out.  I don't like camping LOL!

@DrKelli, that would be sooooo fun if your friend makes it!   Keep us posted as he goes through the process, please.

Respected Contributor

I know he got to the interview part

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@DrKelli, for one of the seasons they'll tape this coming April or June?  Details, please!  Did he get an in-person interview or was it Skype?  How did he get to that point?  Did he start by just sending a tape?  Want to know everything!!!

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

That is fantastic!  Yes we would love any details and please wish him luck!!!

Thanks for writing and I'm with you no camping for me either Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori, it was an in person interview here in Denver.  The first 100 or 150 people in line?  He had number 97 or something.  It must be the season that tapes over the summer because his FB posts still show him at his 'regular' job.

I think after the interview, things are pretty secretive because the announce the cast shortly before taping, right?  And the new season (that starts in Feb 18) is currently taping, so I know he isn't on that one.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@DrKelli wrote:

@DrKelli, for one of the seasons they'll tape this coming April or June?  Details, please!  Did he get an in-person interview or was it Skype?  How did he get to that point?  Did he start by just sending a tape?  Want to know everything!!!

He'll likely be on a gag order whether he made the cut or not. If he made the cut, he won't be able to say anything until after the season has aired. Even then he might stay gagged in order to get a repeat appearance in the future. If he missed the cut they'll likely put him on the standby/future list as a possible future survivor and he'll be unable to talk about it for fear of losing his future availability. About fifty people typically get to the studio interview part of the casting process for reality shows. 

All of the reality shows tend to keep a backlist of people who don't make the cut one year, who then get called back another year. If you talk, you get cut from that list, so people tend not to talk about the casting process.

Big Brother lets the houseguests talk about their drug use, illegal activities, etc., but as soon as they start talking about the casting process, they get muted. BB's had a number of houseguests who have been rejected once or more, then used in a future season. Sometimes the call back comes a few years later. 

Survivor this year did the Healers, Heroes and Hustlers. I suspect they found a few good candidates this year who they couldn't shoehorn into one of those categories who they've set aside for a future season. If those people start talking, they'll get bumped off the list.

Getting to the interview stage is the hard part. At that point you're about one of fifty vying for a spot. Prior to that you're typically one of fifty to sixty thousand applicants. Overcoming those thousand to one odds to get to the interview stage is tough. Once people get past that first stage, they're reluctant to say/do anything that will cost them a chance at being on the show. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I couldn't understand why the big blindside was JT and not bellboy when they knew he had an idol. Unless they just figured, as did happen, that he'd be nervous enough to use it next time.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

@LoriLori, it was an in person interview here in Denver.  The first 100 or 150 people in line?  He had number 97 or something.  It must be the season that tapes over the summer because his FB posts still show him at his 'regular' job.

I think after the interview, things are pretty secretive because the announce the cast shortly before taping, right?  And the new season (that starts in Feb 18) is currently taping, so I know he isn't on that one.

@DrKelli, no, next season was taped last summer.  They tape two seasons back-to-back every summer, first one starts around April, second around June.  So spring 2018 is already all done, Survivor Ghost Island, and it sounds really good.

Your friend has to clear more hurdles and it's so frustrating he can't talk about it anymore!  I thought at least if he doesn't make it we can get insight but @gardenman just explained he still can't talk about it even if they don't take him.

I wish him luck!

I would love to try out for Survivor but there are a few reasons I can't and honestly I never thought about having to keep a secret possibly till February 2019 -- never happen LOL.