Frequent Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

@Oznell wrote:

Very eclectic, fun list, @antiquarian!   

It just vanished.

Honored Contributor

Oh, no, @antiquarian -- that is kooky!  I'm going to say, not so much "Twilight Zone",  but one of the off-beat episodes of unexplained happenings on, say, "Route 66"....  (I'm loving that show now on FETV weekends...)

But twice now is baffling.  I don't think it's happened to me more than twice or 3 times in all of several years of posting.  Wonder if the mods could help?

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's more important that you are enjoying Route 66, @Oznell, than my silly lists!  Did you see Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing yet?  (I think that was the title, and Peter Lorre might have been in the cast.  Haven't looked it all up on the imdb board, just going off the top of my head....)

Maybe, when I edit my posts, I inadvertently also hit 'delete'?  That's the only explanation since why would the mods go to the trouble to get rid of what I think about certain films? I don't mention anything political.

Well, here I go again, lol -- MR. BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE, A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, CROSSING DELANCEY, TOKYO STORY, LA DOLCE VITA, MON ONCLE, THE SEVEN FACES OF DR. LAO, THE BISHOP'S WIFE, BELL, BOOK AND CANDLE, ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, KNIGHT WITHOUT ARMOR......

Honored Contributor

I love your list, @antiquarian!

Since I think only mods can delete posts, and none of yours are remotely "controversial" or undesirable in any way, (quite the opposite),  I'm guessing it was some sort of weird glitch at their end.  But the fact that it happened twice, within a short space of time, is baffling...

Haven't caught "Lizard's leg, etc."--  must have missed it, since they are now near the end, where George Maharis has left the show I think, but Glenn Corbett has not yet come aboard.  The series didn't last much longer than 3 years, if I'm not mistaken.

But it's possible when this runs out, they'll crank the whole thing up again, and I'll be on the lookout for the Peter Lorre episode...

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone remember that Route 66 episode where they go to a town where everyone thinks that they know Buz? Several of the Maharis siblings were in that episode.

Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing was a fun episode.

Now back to Bogart. I even liked him in Sabrina. The scene where Linus and his father are discussing his plans to "woo" Sabrina cracks me up every time.

Honored Contributor

I missed that one too, @Highlands72 -- sounds good.

The idea of that footloose series,  guys cruising around in a car, is so appealing.  And I think Stirling Silliphant's writing in it can be so brilliant-- but uneven.  So I've skipped a lot of episodes.  It'll be fun if they run it again to catch some of the missing ones....

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nah, @Oznell, I've come to the conclusion that I must have unintentionally deleted my other post as well while trying to edit it with a clumsy finger!

I think Route 66 was on about 4 or 5 years but my Baby Boomer memory never serves me well.   And speaking frankly that Lizard's Leg eppy was the only one I actually remember (well, kinda, sorta, lol; at least the title)  I do know they had a gazillion guest stars on that series.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't remember that one, @Highlands72.  Were the rest of George's family as good-looking as he was?

When I first saw SABRINA I had to wonder what was Billy Wilder thinking?  But upon frequent viewings I have to say that, odd casting though it indoubtedly is, Bogie's saturnine countenance is actually perfect for the all-business Linus, although no one would ever think he and Bill Holden could be brothers, lol.

Have you ever seen THE OKLAHOMA KID?  Jimmy Cagney and Bogart play cowboys!  You have to see it to believe it.  And Bogie's character is named Whip McCord!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Route 66 episode with the Maharis family was called "The Mud Nest." It is the episode I remember best, from all the ones I watched many years ago when Nick at Nite used to show them.

When Tod and Buz get to a small town, the town folk all look at Buz with suspicion. They think he is a long-lost member of a trouble-making family that lives outside of town. Having never known his biological family, Buz begins to suspect that he may actually have found them. They all look like "versions" of him, and I remember thinking that the youngest of the men was particularly handsome and bore the closest resemblance.

I watched The Oklahoma Kid a few years ago on TCM. Weird to see one of my favorite gangster-film duos in a western film like that.