Frequent Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

THE BIG SLEEP coming up next.  I always get a headache trying to figure out that convoluted plot, lol.

Want to add that I'm a huge Billy Wilder fan.  Fritz Lang as well.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MildredM  Oh how wonderful to hear that!  I always cry when Jean says "Come away, ma wee Geordie!"

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My favorite Bogart movies are "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "High Sierra" and "We're No Angels". The first two are on today but the last one is never on TV. It's about 3 convicts, Bogart, Aldo Ray, and Peter Ustinov, and a pet snake, who escape from Devil's Island at Christmastime. They break into a store to steal some clothes,but they get involved in the shopkeeper' s family problems. It's a really cute movie. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I have a question for you as a portraitist, @NAES1.  If you were to choose one face from the classic age of Hollywood to paint, one face that interests you the most, whose would it be, and why?

_________________ My pleasure.

I do need to let you know @Oznell , we had company Sunday, and I was not here when you posted this question.

I will not be here most of Tuesday, or any of Wednesday thus, my late reply..... just getting on minutes ago................. . Smiley Happy

You had said one.

I haven't had that much time to think through~ that being quite a few that I could, though.

Even though not a favorite, it would be Marlene Dietrich.

She has the heavily hooded eyes (lids) with a lengthy nose that is very unusual, somewhat too wide that it 'competes' with her larger bowed lips and wider eyes.

Also,  I remember very little of any eyelashes, and if so, are so very light and almost hidden. She styles her long hair to the right, parted on the left.

Most women with long hair do the same, I do the opposite.

From her brow bone to her hairline she has a lot of real estate going ( a lot of skin from the brow) - where her forehead begins, having a one third 'thin' eye ' brow' that stops without the finish of any tail extending down.

Her thin high eyebrows are not that in proportion to her smaller chin. Although her chin is strong -that takes the eye away from the rest, as mentioned.

There are many different abstracts to experiment from her face with by pencil / paint. I haven't seen any but sure that's been done. 

I believe her voice exceeds more and compliments with her accent.  

I have not seen her in a short hair arrangement, to my recollection. I'll serach for any others of her tomorrow-late.

I could go back later in the afternoon and view her again. 

When painting, the eyes are usually left last as dessert after you have the nose length as close to exact as an likeness, then the placement of lips and height and space of the face. 

Her hair being long going to the right, gives her a sultry look.

Beautiful faces are much easier to draw, pain or sculpture than any other face. 

As much as recorded with mere memory, hers would be quite interesting with the very unusual, while taking time to have PERFECT perspective to have the act of combinding

[ all ] as a whole; what is to be expected as a composition remembered by the frontal lobe with identifying. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you for that comprehensive  response, @NAES1!  I would not have thought of Dietrich, but your artist's analysis of her sculpted features is fascinating!  It's a whole different way of looking at faces-- so enlightening.

I knew your answer would be unexpected and literally, "eye-opening".

Honored Contributor

Very eclectic, fun list, @antiquarian!   James Dunn's performance as the father in "A Tree Grows In Brooklyn" just floors me every time.  It's so delicate, so revealing of a remembered magical father's love, yet inadequacy....  So glad he was able to leave us that performance, since so much of his acting life I think was interrupted and troubled...

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, @Oznell   You put it so beautifully -- "a remembered magical father's love, yet inadequacy".   I've always watched this movie through tear-filled eyes.  I believe Dunn was unfortunately overly familiar with the bottle in his real life....I always especially lose it with Francie's rooftop monologue. And although Joan Crawford gave a fine performance in MILDRED PIERCE, I've always felt it was Dorothy McGuire who should have taken home the Oscar.  (I think I can understand, however, why she didn't. The character of Katie Nolan perhaps reminded the Academy of impoverished roots they wanted to distance themselves from)

Honored Contributor

Very insightful, @antiquarian.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell   Just my opinion, of course...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

(cue Twilight Zone theme)  My post with the additional movies just disappeared.

Spooky.