Esteemed Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

@antiquarian wrote:

Hi, @NAES1, ha!  Actually, it's just Bogart as Rick I'm not too crazy about.  Much prefer him as a zombie in THE RETURN OF DR. X!  (where his character enters holding a poor laboratory rabbit)  But I'm strange that way because I love horror movies -- the cheesier, the better, lol.  Hey, you're entitled to CASABLANCA fatigue!  Different strokes!   I think his second best performance after THE MALTESE FALCON is Fred C. Dobbs in TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.  Bogie is very skillful on screen as a paranoid personality.  DARK PASSAGE is the one where you don't see his face for some time -- when the camera focuses on those bandages, it's pretty creepy.

You have such wonderful interests/hobbies!   

---...---...---...---...

Interesting reviews

Thank you so very much for such kind words. @antiquarian . 

Welcome to The Movies,

[ and to the BOARDS.]

Oznell always has something for just anyone.

She's a great friend and well secured in what she writes of movies. I told her once, ``` her baby. 

Yes, Dark Passage. That's the one............... !

I do enjoy some intrigue in movies but many of those have become the quite same ol' -same ol'.... 

I wouldn't say I'm a Hitchcock follower, but never tire of Rear Window. Most of all Paul Newman and Steve McQueen's ... love quality Romance/ not sloppy.

Also, like many of the late 40, 50 and some of the 60s.

Oznell's husband likes The Long Hot Summer, as I do also. 

The More the Merrier

and The Best Years of our Lives.

Adore Mad World

and the movie: The Out of Towners / Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis.

No westerns, no sports, no blood & guts or terror. 

Smiley Happy  antiquarian, no, nothing of 'C'

there is zero about Casablanca that I like.

I even had forgotten Bogart's charatrer's name was Rick. 

Anything Hollywood, today- forget it!

Honored Contributor

I have a question for you as a portraitist, @NAES1.  If you were to choose one face from the classic age of Hollywood to paint, one face that interests you the most, whose would it be, and why?

Frequent Contributor

Oh my stars I just posted my reply to you and now it's gone!  What happened???

Frequent Contributor

HELP!! My post replying to @NAES1  has just vanished!   I'm not that tech savvy but know I didn't unintentionally push a wrong button and delete it.  HELP!! 

I responded to @NAES1's comments, mentioned the graciousness and civility of @Oznell, and listed some of my favorite movies.

Should I repost it?  I hope my Baby Boomer brain will remember everything I wrote, lol.

Honored Contributor

You are definitely not losing your mind, @antiquarian -- I saw your post and replied to it.  Then, all of a sudden, yours was gone!  I thought you had removed it, so removed my response.

It is a weird phenomenon which has happened once or twice to me too, and I never found out why it occurs.

Hope you'll repost if you can bother to.  I love the fact that you mentioned you are a Val Lewton fan and cheered you on in that...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that warm welcome, @NAES1.  I'm reposting this reply because the one I just wrote you has mysteriously vanished.  What I wanted to say is that I always head here first to read @Oznell's recomendations.  Plus, her graciousness and civility set a wonderful tone.

I'm very fond of mystery movies.  Agree that the intrigue angle can become cliched if not handled delicately.  I'm a big fan of the shadowy, nuanced, eerie, noir-y output from producer Val Lewton -- CAT PEOPLE, THE SEVENTH VICTIM, THE LEOPARD MAN, etc. from the 1940's.  REAR WINDOW, love it.  Arguably Hitch's best, has a timeless humanity.  Paul Newman looks so fine in THE LONG, HOT SUMMER, lol.  Woof!  Joanne as Clara has some wonderfully poignant moments.  And Orson is a hoot!  Haven't seen that much of Steve McQueen, who is such an icon of the cool (yet vulnerable) guy.  But what I have watched has really impressed me.  He had talent and charisma.  THE MORE THE MERRIER is terrific.  What genre can't Joel McCrea handle?  He was so versatile.  Charles Coburn, such a reliable and gifted character actor, is hilarious here.  (yet so chilling in KINGS ROW)  Jean Arthur radiant as always.

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES -- brilliant, could be William Wyler's masterpiece.  I love Virginia Mayo and Steve Cochran together, warming up, so to speak, lol, for WHITE HEAT.  Would you believe I've never seen MAD WORLD?  Keep missing this for some reason.  THE OUT-OF-TOWNERS, lol, well, as a born and bred Noo Yawker it's kind of difficult relating to poor Jack and Sandy having to navigate the Big Apple but I can muster up some sympathy, ha!  And Lemmon is up to his eyeballs with Manhattan frustration in THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE.

The only westerns I enjoy are John Ford's STAGECOACH, and two Hawks -- RED RIVER and RIO BRAVO.

Some of my favorite movies are I KNOW WHERE I'M GOING, LOCAL HERO, WEE GEORDIE (love stories set in Scotland), THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, KNIGHT WITHOUT ARMOR, THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT, THE UNINVITED, REBECCA, THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES (unusual Abbott and Costello comedy-fantasy), HERE COMES MR. JORDAN (1941, not the remake), anything with Alastair Sim and Margaret Rutherford -- all those deliciously droll British comedies from Ealing Studios in the 1950's.

Oh well, I could go on and on but don't want to become a crashing bore.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yay, it's back!  Having a new, interesting voice and fresh set of movie preferences is a joy on the forum, @antiquarian.

Frequent Contributor

You are very generous, @Oznell  I thank you.  Am humbled.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also love Wee Geordie, wonderful film.

Honored Contributor

I generally avoid Casablanca whenever it’s on. I like Bogart in anything but…… I really dislike Ingrid Bergman, especially that character. There, I said it I don’t like her as an actress. LOL.
My mom’s favorite movie was The African Queen.