Frequent Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

Excellent ruminations, @Highlands72.  

I always have to watch CASABLANCA whenever it's on, and invariably notice that Bogart and Bergman don't really seem to have a lot of chemistry together.  I wonder if this was because there were so many screenwriters thrown into the mix that the actors didn't know where the plot was going, not even up until the iconic ending.  When Ilsa professes her love for Rick with "I left you once, I can't leave you again", it just doesn't ring true for me.

Frequent Contributor

@Oznell  you nailed Astor's performance in THE MALTESE FALCON.  (yes, I do believe that's the correct spelling of her character's name)  An excellent actress, and I think an underrated beauty as well.  

She can be deliciously creepy, too -- check out RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE.

Frequent Contributor

"Was you ever bit by a dead bee?"

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @antiquarian, at the first hint of "To Have and Have Not",  hubby goes into full Walter Brennan, and the bee bit.  It's his favorite line....

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can't go wrong with Howard Hawks!

I'll bet your hubby also loves Brennan in RIO BRAVO. 

Frequent Contributor

Eeek -- can someone tell me how to edit my posts?

I hate making mistakes!

Honored Contributor

@antiquarian, see those three little dots in the upper right hand corner?  Just click on those and the edit choice will appear and you can edit to your heart's content.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you kindly, @Oznell!

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @antiquarian ,

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!     Woman Happy   ahh~~ someone else

( thank goodness ) whom does not -NOT- like this movie, CASABLANCA... oh no- never, again!   "please,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

No stones thrown at you, antiquarian.

I have seen that movie /w/husband, that even the name makes me Cringe.

I'm not a betting woman, but I could count [close to] for almost every piece of sand on some beach- TIMES that my husband has watched that ONE over & over.

One time: that was 'it' for me. 

My gosh, how many times can one person watch the same movie that one remember the color /amount of buttons on her suit coat / blouse and the stripes of his tie? 

Sometime in the late 90s, I bought the entire Humphrey Bogart library of every movie...and there it lies, upright on the shelf of over hundreds of other movies.

Someone else may enjoy. OUT it goes. TCM will have these forever, I am beginning to think? Too many movies stored.

We all have our special enjoyments for different relaxation, if TV is relaxing?  Just my new phase in life. 

I usually will watch -and can enjoy ONE of the 'NEVER heard of movies that @Oznell  mentions, and absolutely can give a whopping Thank You for mentioning / suggesting something so very different.

I had-

.....believe .... it was four years ago did watched Sierra Madre two times in three months and thought

[Very Good]; anything of John Huston's. 

And the one where ( BOGART's) his face is never shown, just the voice w / BACALL as his supporter friend interest to hide him.  That's all that I know of that one. 

Interesting for again, one time, but that was it in Bogart World for me.

ENJOY all Bogart movie watchers!

Cannot explain why, just do not have any interest of him.

May 'be' I have reached the over doZing of many infamous older movies and now almost a drop out.

Oznell is absolutely correct: too many GREAT (other) older black & white movies that many had not heard of, so always appreciate the-.. In Advance of those.

But to be very up front, I watch almost zero TV unless it's the national news Xs 3 per week.

I read a lot, most of what is defined being medical books I receive that is associated w/ profession.

Sunday's Bogarts appears as a winner. 

Woman Surprised NAES

Loving my art work- oils, acrylics and some water painting for abstracts. Enjoy my love doing murals and portraits.

Smiley Happy I adore beautiful music and 'if' I could, that would be an all day luxury .......... Woman Happy

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @NAES1, ha!  Actually, it's just Bogart as Rick I'm not too crazy about.  Much prefer him as a zombie in THE RETURN OF DR. X!  (where his character enters holding a poor laboratory rabbit)  But I'm strange that way because I love horror movies -- the cheesier, the better, lol.  Hey, you're entitled to CASABLANCA fatigue!  Different strokes!   I think his second best performance after THE MALTESE FALCON is Fred C. Dobbs in TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE.  Bogie is very skillful on screen as a paranoid personality.  DARK PASSAGE is the one where you don't see his face for some time -- when the camera focuses on those bandages, it's pretty creepy.

You have such wonderful interests/hobbies!