Honored Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

I'd love to hear you expound on your particular reasons, @Highlands72, if you get a chance.

@GingerPeach, that trip you took was epic!  I thought of that when I posting on "Dark Passage"!

Respected Contributor

Bogart was that rare actor that could make any role better than any other actor could. He was a natural. Best role——hard to pick.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I'd love to hear you expound on your particular reasons, @Highlands72, if you get a chance.

---

In my experience participating in or reading discussions about Casablanca, the overwhelming sentiment about the film seems to focus on the ill-fated love story of Rick and Ilsa. That particular aspect of the film is not very compelling to me, almost to the point where I set it aside altogether.

The supporting elements of the plot (always start with a map if you want to draw me in), the many paths that the Jewish emigrants took, winding their way through Europe and Africa, have always been so interesting to me. Aspects of war (World War II, in particular) apart from the battles themselves, are what always captivate me when watching a film of this era.

Back to the main point of love and romance: The true love story in this film is Ilsa's love for Victor Laszlo. Putting my own interpretation on this, I just feel as if Rick was nothing more than a diversion to Ilsa, that his love for her was not reciprocated. Throughout their time in Paris, she was grieving for Laszlo. She adored and admired Laszlo for his bravery and commitment to ideals, and in the end was willing to give him up to ensure his safety. Ending up with Rick would have been merely a consolation prize.

-

P.S. I am at this moment watching Mr. Roberts (for the umpteenth time) on Movies! channel. I wonder if I have ever mentioned just how much I love William Powell.

Honored Contributor

Love hearing your analysis, @Highlands72 -- always thought-provoking.  The bond of Ilsa and Victor was indeed on a very high plane...

Me too for William Powell--  his throwaway elegance, his faultless timing, his humor--  his dimples!   Such an appealing man and actor.  

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I have seen most if not all of Bogie's films and in fact many years ago, went through seeing his movies and Bette Davis's.  Love Bogie in Barefoot Contessa, To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, and of course the classic Casablanca.  He truly was among the great actors of his time and still lives on .

He and Bette Davis are favorites of mine as well @spiderw .  One of my all time favorite movies is The Petrified Forrest because they are both in it (as I'm sure you know).  I enjoy all those you listed.  High Sierra is my top favorite Bogie movie, although "In a Lonely Place" is among my top picks as well.

Esteemed Contributor

@bikerbabe wrote:
Bogart is probably my favorite actor!!!!

Mine too @bikerbabe .  Always has been, always will be.

Trusted Contributor

@Oznell 

Thank you.  In a Lonely Place is one of my favorites.  Gloria Grahame is such a good actress, even though her facial expression rarely changes.  I love to watch her.  I've seen this movie many times and each time I see something that I missed.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

So agreed, @luv-the-Q -- "In a Lonely Place" yeilds more with each viewing.  Very mesmerizing film that creates its own, unique, airtight little world....

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell     The best thing for me about CASABLANCA is Claude Rains.  I do love the film overall and think it genuinely deserves its classic status.  Just not crazy about Bogie crying into his liquor, even for lovely Ingrid.  Humphrey is always best, imo, as either cynical, psycho, or both, lol.   

You captured his performance in THE MALTESE FALCON perfectly.  (and I lurve Mary Astor in what I think is her finest performance along with the one in DODSWORTH and that delicious cameo in HUSH, HUSH, SWEET CHARLOTTE)

Honored Contributor

Oh, yes to that performance by Mary Astor as the elusive, tearful, treacherous, needy, ever-changing "Brigid O'Shaughnessy" (sp?), @antiquarian!