Honored Contributor

SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

Here's the schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-08-11

Bogart_and_Bacall_The_Big_Sleep.jpg

As you'll see, a lot-- not all-- of the greats are here, like:

2:00 p.m. Eastern--  "The Big Sleep".   Bogart and Bacall in entertaining, but crazy mixed-up mystery.

6:15 p.m. Eastern--  "In a Lonely Place"  Bogart, Gloria Grahame.   One of the best, moodiest L.A. noirs, directed by Nicholas Ray.

10:00 p.m Eastern--  "The Caine Mutiny".  Bogart, Jose Ferrer, Van Johnson, Fred MacMurray.   Compelling shipboard and courtroom drama, with Bogie as a lieutenant commander in a showy crack-up.

12:15 a.m. Eastern--  "Dark Passage".  Bogie and Bacall again.   Perennial favorite!   San Fran artist Bacall hides fugitive Bogie, love ensues.

This is the short skinny, before I have to leave, but didn't want the Bogie lovers to forget!

Honored Contributor

Re: SUNDAY FOR HUMPHREY BOGART ON TCM

My 2 favorites are there--Treasure of Sierra Madre and especialy The African Queen.  Never get tired of watching that one!  

Honored Contributor

I have seen most if not all of Bogie's films and in fact many years ago, went through seeing his movies and Bette Davis's.  Love Bogie in Barefoot Contessa, To Have and Have Not, Dark Passage, and of course the classic Casablanca.  He truly was among the great actors of his time and still lives on .

Esteemed Contributor

Yay!

Honored Contributor

Bogart is probably my favorite actor!!!!
Honored Contributor

I go back and forth on my favorites of his, but I think maybe "The Maltese Falcon" is my number one.  It's such a pure, perfect rendering of the "noir milieu",  and in fact many consider it to be the first or perhaps, second film noir, starting off a whole genre.  It's brilliant, directed by John Huston, and endlessly influential on succeeding generations of filmmakers...

I also like Bogie's unsentimental portrayal of Dashiell Hammett's "Sam Spade".   Sometimes in his later films I feel he's kind of coasting a bit (maybe) on his mystique, but his "Sam Spade" is the least self-indulgent, most focused and therefore rewarding performance of his I can think of...

Frequent Contributor

I have to agree with you on his Sam Spade, oznell.  Thanks to Huston, TMF has a watertight scenario which allows Bogart to perfectly capture the character's petty, violent side with such understated accuracy.

On the other side of the coin, lol, Bogart is so much fun when he plays psycho!  I'm thinking of THE RETURN OF DR. X,  THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, CONFLICT, IN A LONELY PLACE, THE CAINE MUTINY.

I may be stoned for this, but CASABLANCA is actually my least favorite of his films.  I hate when he gets so maudlin!

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, perceptive @antiquarian --  I love your viewpoint on this-- exactly!  Thanks for bringing that fresh take on the films.  (This is why I love these movie threads!)

Valued Contributor

@antiquarian wrote:

I have to agree with you on his Sam Spade, oznell.  Thanks to Huston, TMF has a watertight scenario which allows Bogart to perfectly capture the character's petty, violent side with such understated accuracy.

On the other side of the coin, lol, Bogart is so much fun when he plays psycho!  I'm thinking of THE RETURN OF DR. X,  THE TWO MRS. CARROLLS, CONFLICT, IN A LONELY PLACE, THE CAINE MUTINY.

I may be stoned for this, but CASABLANCA is actually my least favorite of his films.  I hate when he gets so maudlin!

In total agreement with you @antiquarian and @Oznell regarding The Maltese Falcon; Bogart at his absolute best.

As far as being castigated for an unpopular opinion on a Bogart film, I will jump right in and voice my opinion that To Have and Have Not is overrated. Casablanca, on the other hand, is one of my favorites of Bogart's, although the reasons I like it so much do not seem to be the same as what I have heard others mention.

Honored Contributor

Lauren Bacall was my companion last year when I scoped out Dark Passage locations.

DSCN0249 (2).JPG

Part of the road where Bacall picked up Bogie, as it is today.

DSCN0245a.JPG

The approximate area where Bogie would have scrambled up the incline.  Road is on the right.

DSCN0247a.JPG

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.