Honored Contributor

STANWYCK IN ROMANTIC SUSPENSE SUNDAY 10:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

10:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Two Mrs. Carrolls".  Barbara Stanwyck, Humphrey Bogart, Alexis Smith, Ann Carter, Nigel Bruce

One of my favorite, "second-tier" Stanwyck suspensers!  Innocent British heiress meets and falls in love with artist Bogie, masquerading as a single man.  When he is later "freed up", so to speak, they marry and go live in bliss in a beautiful cathedral town, where the mystery starts to brew....

TCM runs this fairly often, and has been gracing us with more Stanwyck recently-- no complaint from me!

And for serious fans of pure, brilliant, innovative film noir, TCM is running "The Third Man" with Joseph Cotten, Alida Valli and Orson Welles, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

Honored Contributor

Re: STANWYCK IN ROMANTIC SUSPENSE SUNDAY 10:30 P.M. EASTERN TCM

Any film w/Joseph Cotten!. He is a top fav of mine.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

Amazingly, I have never seen this one.  Love Barbara S. and I feel she was an underrated actor.  Although, not sure if she was awarded during her career.  She's tiny, but on screen, she is a scene stealer.  HB is always wonderful.

Sometimes I think it is me, but it seems we don't have such movies and actors as these anymore.  Possibly, viewing movies through the prisim of time makes them "better."  But, I find that modern day movies rarely hold my attention like the older films.

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman  Completely agree with your analysis of old vs. new movies.  First of all, it seems to me that "old" movies have a story.  Nowadays, it's more about special effects.  Also in the "old" days actors made several movies a year under the studio system.  Now even top notch stars, e.g., Hanks and Streep maybe make one.  

The only movies I've seen in theaters this year are Harriet and Little Women.  Both had good stories and excellent acting.  But in the long run give me movies from the '30s and '40s.  The "golden age" of Hollywood!!!!

BTW, BS was nominated for best actress 4 times but never won.  One of the many great mistakes of the Oscars.

Honored Contributor

So agreed, gang!  I love that Stanwyck gets the accolades she deserves at least now, and in recent decades.  Agree that she was under-valued for too long.  Truly one of the greats.

In this one with Bogie, she's quite subtle and a joy to watch, even as she is with her more "look-at-me" roles.

Spoiler
The way that she portrays her gradual, growing suspicions of Bogart, and the horror that that engenders, is characteristically masterful!