Esteemed Contributor

Re: SPECIAL TO @Annabellethecat AND ANY OTHERS INTERESTED

@Oznell  - I think TCM should hire you!!!   Your interpretation and knowledge of the old movies and directors is amazing!!

There is another Joan Crawford movie that I enjoy.  She plays an older woman who gets involved and marries a younger man with mental issues, played by Cliff Robertson.  I can't remember the name.  Have you seen it?

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla, I know just what you mean.  Personally, I'm not taken with Orson Welles either--  but I just find him so clever and innovative.

I have that same feeling of being the opposite of charmed with certain other directors, despite their top-flight talent.  Dare I mention Elia Kazan or Billy Wilder.  I know how great they are cinematically, but there's something so cold (to me at least) in their personas.  But both were brilliant.

It's funny how you notice you like a director.  I gradually realized with Siodmak, for instance, that he had done a string of dream-like films I admired-- there was a pattern.  "Phantom Lady",  "Christmas Holiday",  "The Spiral Staircase",  "Cry of the City",  "Dark Mirror",  "The File on Thelma Jordon".   (I have a dynamite photo from that film to post for you, but for some reason my computer is acting up and won't let me.  Will try later.)

Honored Contributor

Thank you, sweet @twinsister!   Ooh, I like that movie with Joan and "younger man" Cliff Robertson--  "Autumn Leaves".

That one,  "Sudden Fear" and "Female on the Beach" make for a J. Crawford camp trilogy that can't be beat!

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Oznell.
Personally I would have given the Oscar to Dana Andrews not Fredric March for this film. It is one of my pet peeves that he wasn’t even nominated. Even more than today’s films, the studios dictated the awards. Of course, March gives a wonderful performance. Andrews was just so underrated during his career and didn’t receive nearly enough recognition.
Honored Contributor

I absolutely agree with you, @bikerbabe --  Dana Andrews was definitely underrated back then.  I wonder if it's because his acting style was so subtle, and "interior".  Ahead of his time.  Remember that incredible scene where he climbs up into the cockpit of that discarded plane, and just his eyes convey all that is swirling around in his memory and mind-- wonderful, wonderful piece of acting...

Honored Contributor

Funny you mention Andrews acting style as more subtle. I was going to mention that in my earlier post as well but I didn’t. So many acclaimed actors are over the top in many performances. It’s OK, but it can get old after a while. I’m talking to you Greta Garbo, Joan Crawford, Charles Laughton. Sorry! I know there are Crawford and Garbo lovers here!
Honored Contributor

Oh, totally, I see that in Crawford.  But, since she always seemed to be more of a personality than an actress, it doesn't bother me.  She's entertaining to watch, I think, on her own merits as a perhaps somewhat modestly talented performer, but "big" personality...

Honored Contributor

Annex - Corey, Wendell (File on Thelma Jordon, The)_03.jpg

Finally, @drizzellla,  Stanwyck and Wendell Corey "getting to know each other" in "The File on Thelma Jordon.  Stanwyck just makes this film-- she's terrific.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell  -  thanks for Autumn Leaves - I was having a senior moment!!!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

OK - Oznell - once again you pulled me in. I am going to watch File on Thelma Jordon. It sounds to me like the movie Harriet Craig.

And my son recommended Shadow of a Doubt to me. That has you going throughout the movie.

And I found your list of Directors so interesting and varied. But after reading the biography of Rita Hayworth, I don't care for Orson Welles. Personally or Professionally. Not sure why it should matter but I don't seem to be drawn into his movies. 

I never did! But what did he do to Rita Hayworth??