Honored Contributor

Re: SPECIAL TO @Annabellethecat AND ANY OTHERS INTERESTED

[ Edited ]

@Judaline wrote:

@drizzellla wrote:

OK - Oznell - once again you pulled me in. I am going to watch File on Thelma Jordon. It sounds to me like the movie Harriet Craig.

And my son recommended Shadow of a Doubt to me. That has you going throughout the movie.

And I found your list of Directors so interesting and varied. But after reading the biography of Rita Hayworth, I don't care for Orson Welles. Personally or Professionally. Not sure why it should matter but I don't seem to be drawn into his movies. 

I never did! But what did he do to Rita Hayworth??

When they first got married they came to New York and stayed at  Beatrice Straight's estate. 

"Beatrice Straight couldn't figure out what Orson was doing with Rita. Nor did Welles seem to treat Rita very well, at least not in front of Beatrice, who was surprised by Rita's  failure ever to protest her husband's brusqueness and lack of courtesy.

Orson wasn't scoring any points for courtesy with the household staff, either. He typically slept until three in the afternoon, at which time he expected special meals to be prepared

for him immediately, and exploded angrily if his demands weren't met right away."

Then Rita found out she was pregnant.

"As for Orson, although he was thrilled to see Rita so happy, he already had one daughter with whom he didn't care to spend much time anyway. Fatherhood "wasn't his thing," explained Shifra Haran. "To expect him to have been otherwise would have been your mistake. You can't expect of people what they're not capable of giving."

Then Orson was scheduled to campaign on behalf of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's reelection. He operated out of a suite in the Waldorf Towers, in New York. Rita could not keep track of him as he crisscrossed the nation doing radio broadcasts and speeches for Roosevelt.

On December 17, 1944 Rita had a baby girl. She did not go to Roosevelt's inauguration but Orson went. After the inauguration Orson went to New York. Then Rita's mother got ill and her Mother died January 25, 1945. A month after Rita's daughter was born. Orson had decided that he would not come home and attend Rita's Mother's funeral.

"When Orson finally returned home from the lecture tour, he promptly took Rita to Mexico for a vacation with the Hills. The new baby was left behind in a nurse's care."

"Much as he had once turned to Rita to shore up his ego in the midst of an earlier career crisis, now he embarked on a string of affairs with various other women, Nothing serious, but they soothed his wounded vanity.

Chief among the extra marital affairs Orson conducted in this period was with Judy Garland. It was Welle's custom to bring Judy great bouquets of white flowers, but one night when he returned home from his rendezvous the flowers were still in his car. He had somehow forgotten to give them to her. When Rita spotted the beautiful bouquets in the backseat, she only naturally assumed they were a gift for her. But before Rita could get to them, Miss Haran rushed out and discreetly removed the card that she knew only too well would be addressed to Judy."

A direct quote of Orson Welles "If I hadn't been a person obsessed with his work. I could have stayed with her."

By then Orson had a reputation of being difficult and unreliable. Rita had to co-sign his contract. "Considering how abominably he had been treating her of late, asking her now was most awkward-but if he wanted to work he had no choice.: Besides he owed her $30,000.

His gratitude for Rita bailing him out again didn't stop Orson from spending much of his time in an apartment on the Goldwyn lot. Rita found herself at home alone with the baby.

He then left for New York and Rita decided to divorce him. Their baby was not a year old.

There is so much more about how Orson treated Becky. He basically ignored her. 

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@SharkE, my two all-time favorite Crawford films are "Sudden Fear", and for sheer suds, "Female on the Beach".

ETA--  Oh, can't forget "Humoresque" where she vamped it up with John Garfield.

@Oznell   I agree re Sudden Fear and Female on the Beach, love them, also Mildred Pierce.  I LOVE the way Joan speaks in Female on the Beach, mostly the first half, wonderful.  I can't think of any of her films that I have seen that I didn't like.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla   She sure could pick 'em! I heard  Dlck Haymes was monstrous to her. Thanks for all of this. It doesn't really surprise me, I suspected something of the like. Too bad for her. Hope she had a confidante.