Trusted Contributor

Except for clever cold opens and Weekend Update, the show really has become lame.   Once in a while they'll have a funny skit, but they seem to be aimed at the fraternity boy crowd.   It is not the humor of the Eddie Murphy, Bill Murray, Jane Curtain... etc. era.  Some of their segments aren't even funny.

And, I miss the days when they had musical performers on that I actually heard of.   I'm not that old, but I have no idea who their musical guests are most times.

I love the cold open and their political humor, but unless the writing gets better, not sure the departure of these long time cast members will be positive.  

I miss comedy that was funny and sophisticated.

Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back  I couldn't agree more with your assessment of SNL.  It is a shadow of it's former self.  The musical performers are often new to me, some of them I like and some leave me cold.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter @Black Cat Back 

Agree with both of you.....SNL hasn't been the same since its original cast changed--IT WAS ACTUALLY FUNNY back when we enjoyed -Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, John Bulshi, Laraine Newman.....and Steve Martin always fit right in too as a guest host......

Now its either UNFUNNY bathroom humor, or just lewd crude and ranchy stuff......I think its time for this show to go off the air for good! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

SNL has been renewed for Season 48. 

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@deepwaterdotter @Black Cat Back 

Agree with both of you.....SNL hasn't been the same since its original cast changed--IT WAS ACTUALLY FUNNY back when we enjoyed -Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, Jane Curtain, Chevy Chase, John Bulshi, Laraine Newman.....and Steve Martin always fit right in too as a guest host......

Now its either UNFUNNY bathroom humor, or just lewd crude and ranchy stuff......I think its time for this show to go off the air for good! 

Additionally, it was quite a novelty back in the day.

Respected Contributor

Were  Fred and Maya in any sketches?  Didn't see them after the opening.  Used to love Maya's Oprah parody, with the audience going nuts over free stuff!  And Fred was very good as Lawrence Welk!

Honored Contributor

Kyle has never been a favorite of mine, but he didn't get a nice send off, as Kate, Pete, and Aidy did. The comments Aidy made during the update to Michael Che, did that mean he was leaving the show?

Trusted Contributor

I thought SNL was ending according to an article this morning. If they could return to the days of the Not Ready for Primetime Players the show would be wonderful and truly funny again. 

Honored Contributor

The show is just not funny any more, despite having many talented actors / comics.  Last night, I intended to watch the whole show - which is unusual for me - since I like Aidy and the others that are leaving.  But I couldn't get past the first 20 minutes or so.  It was so unfunny - I was embarassed for them.  Had to turn the TV off.  They're aiming for a different demographic, obviously. 

Trusted Contributor

SNL began when aI was in college. It was hilarious. So much genuine talent. Belushi. Eddie Murphy, Gilda Radner, Chevy Chase, Buck Henry, and so many others...too many to even list. When they began changing the show into political skits rather the truly funny ones....it ruined it for me....it seems when politics is added to entertainment, sports, etc. it just goes downhill from there.