Honored Contributor

SIDNEY POITIER TRIPLE FEATURE MONDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

[ Edited ]

10:30 a.m. Eastern--  TCM is celebrating Martin Luther King Day in a big way, with African-American themed movies all day:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-01-21

Their triple feature of Sidney Poitier films showcases his 'old school' movie star magnetism, and versatility:

10:30 a.m. Eastern--  "A Warm December"  Sidney Poitier, Esther Anderson   Bittersweet romance in which a widowed physician and father finds love in swinging London. 

12:30 p.m. Eastern--  "Edge of the City"  Sidney Poitier, John Cassavetes, Jack Warden   I've not seen this, but it is very highly rated.  An army deserter (Cassavetes) forms an alliance and friendship with fellow waterfront stevedore (Poitier) who helps and encourages him.  Their bane is a vicious supervisor (Jack Warden) who takes pleasure in goading them.   Very hard-hitting drama, but broke new ground in portraying the reality of strong cross-racial friendship.  ETA--- Warning for the tender-hearted-- the story does not end well for one of the protagonists.      

2:00 p.m. Eastern--  "A Patch of Blue"   Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Hartman, Shelley Winters    Sidney befriends an ultimately infatuated young blind woman (Elizabeth Hartman), who lives in an abusive environment with a mother (Shelley Winters) who has only the most foul plans for her daughter. The new-found friendship with Poitier gives Elizabeth the strength to pursue her own course, and there's the hopeful possiblity of an even closer relationship to develop in future...     

Honored Contributor

Re: SIDNEY POITIER TRIPLE FEATURE MONDAY 10:30 A.M. EASTERN TCM

Original trailer for "A Patch of Blue":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekGxD67a1D8

Honored Contributor

What about To Sir, with Love?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@just bee wrote:

What about To Sir, with Love?

or Guess Who's Coming to Dinner.

Thanks @Oznell.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

These are three (of many) stellar movies starring Sidney Poitier. Thanks for the info @Oznell.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know, @just bee and @Tique and @Diva on The Q.   What about:   "In the Heat of the Night";   "The Bedford Incident";  "No Way Out";  "Paris Blues";  "The Slender Thread";  and others too numerous to mention...

Respected Contributor

I just thought of another great Sidney Poitier movie: "Lillies of the Field".  Made in the early 60's, Poitier builds a chapel for a group of nuns. I highly recommend it.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Amen (for those who have not seen it, that is the lovely song from "Lillies").

Honored Contributor

@MsShade, thanks,  I didn't know that that lilting song "Amen" gives the opening kick to "Lilies of the Field"-- it really sets the mood!  Here's Sidney first encountering those nuns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU0qYzwlOYE

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @Oznell & Everyone!...I love his work and adore..."Guess Whose Coming To Dinner"!...There are movies listed here that I haven't seen, so making a list and checking it twice!

Enjoy Everyone! Woman Happy

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~