Honored Contributor

SIDNEY POITIER, STAR OF THE MONTH, TUESDAY LINEUP

They're starting off his tribute with a bang Tuesday evening.  Please see primetime schedule below:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=est&sdate=2019-09-03

BzhdPRbCMAAcupW.jpg

8:00 p.m. Eastern--   "No Way Out".   Sidney Poitier, Richard Widmark, Linda Darnell.   

This explosive film is representative of Poitier's early career focus on social injustices.  Intense, and a great showcase for both Widmark, doing a gangsterish turn, and Poitier, playing a wronged young doctor.

10:00 p.m. Eastern--  "Blackboard Jungle".   Glenn Ford, Anne Francis, Sidney Poitier, Vic Morrow, Louis Calhern

Blackboard Jungle 1955 02 Glenn Ford Sidney Poitier.JPG

Gritty focus on teacher Glenn Ford's experiences in an out-of-control Fifties' urban classroom.  Smaller role for Sidney, but as usual he makes an indelible, "break-out" impression.

12:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Edge of the City".  Sidney Poitier, John Cassavetes, Jack Warden, Ruby Dee

edge-of-the-city-1956-002-sidney-poitier-john-cassavetes-00o-h67.jpg

Another charged, fiery plot, with longshoreman Poitier and his friend Cassavetes being targeted by bigoted, malevolent boss, Jack Warden.   Again, a powerful film that serves as a spotlight for the talents of its brilliant, theater-trained leads.

As a bonus, it also features the piquant, beautiful young Ruby Dee, who made too few films in her long acting career. 

Honored Contributor

Re: SIDNEY POITIER, STAR OF THE MONTH, TUESDAY LINEUP

It's also James Bond month on Thursdays.  Roger Moore was my favorite Bond and Moonraker and For Your Eyes Only two of my favorites.

Honored Contributor

Jack Warden seemed to be in everything back in those days:, movies and TV both. He sure had a prolific career.

Love handsome Poitier although I never cared for The Blackboard Jungle film.
Honored Contributor

I know this thought is ridiculous, but somehow I have always felt that if Sidney Poitier and I ever had occasion to meet, we would like one another as friends.  There is something about him that feels familiar to me and compatible with my nature.  As I wrote, odd.  

As much as I'd like to have this same feeling about other stars, I don't.  The closest I've ever come to feeling a special kinship with another star occurred when I was a child and thought Esther Williams was the most wonderful being in the world.  As someone who adored swimming from a young age, I'm certain part of my respect was generated by her nonpareil water ballets.

Honored Contributor

Would have been nice if "Porgy and Bess" was included in the line-up. icon_exclaim.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

"To Sir With Love" has always been in my top 10 movies of all time.  I'm a big fan of his; always found him to be so handsome and classy.  

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee, good point,  Jack Warden is one of my top favorite, often unsung, character actors.  He's so consistently good in such a variety of roles, you almost take him for granted.  I like him so much, I almost wish he wasn't such a heavy in "Edge of the City"....

Honored Contributor

Backboard Jungle, Raisin in the Sun, Lilies in the Field, In the Heat of the Night, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, To Sir With Love,A Patch of Blue some of my favorite Poitier movies.  He is a legend in the entertainment world and his many movies puts him up with the best of actors in my opinion. He deserves a day on TCM without a doubt and  I will set my DVR for some great movie watching!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

He's good at his craft. 

I looked at the schedule and didn't see my favs. 

"Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"

"Lillies of The Field"

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Oh, remember gang, he is star of the whole month of September, not just tonight.  Look for your favorites every Tuesday of the month-- it looks like most of them will be there.  Please see below:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1529136|0/Sidney-Poitier-Tuesdays-in-September.html