Esteemed Contributor

Re: SHOCKER-- TCM IS SHUTTING DOWN ITS MESSAGE BOARDS.

[ Edited ]

TCM is now under the corporate umbrella of Warner Bros Discovery, an enormous media conglomerate.  Warner Media merged with Discovery earlier this year.  It includes CNN, HBO, the Warner film and TV studios and Discovery+.

The CEO, David Zaslov, recently made the decision to shelve Warner's completed Batgirl movie, presumably for the tax writeoff.

The decision to shutter the TCM forums is likely due to it being a non-revenue producing cost which doesn't contribute to WBD profit.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep!  And Ted Turner ain't been around for years!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I saw speculation about the fate of the channel in one of the threads about the closing of the boards, @Johnnyeager .

Also noticed some are going to register their displeasure with the powers that be.  I agree with you that profit, or lack thereof, seems to drive all these decisions, sigh.

One tiny good thing coming out of it (that by no means compensates for the loss) is that several posters have mentioned alternate movie discussion boards, some of which I've never heard about before.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I saw speculation about the fate of the channel in one of the threads about the closing of the boards, @Johnnyeager .

Also noticed some are going to register their displeasure with the powers that be.  I agree with you that profit, or lack thereof, seems to drive all these decisions, sigh.

One tiny good thing coming out of it (that by no means compensates for the loss) is that several posters have mentioned alternate movie discussion boards, some of which I've never heard about before.

Which will do absolutely nothing if they are losing money.  Writing in to the "Powers That Be?"  That is a large conglomerate and viewers will have no sway in the financial decisions.  None.  The thing about this is that they don't have to offer a forum.  So, you had one and it will be gone, be glad you had it for a time because they certainly don't owe it to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Which will do absolutely nothing if they are losing money.  Writing in to the "Powers That Be?"  That is a large conglomerate and viewers will have no sway in the financial decisions.  None.  The thing about this is that they don't have to offer a forum.  So, you had one and it will be gone, be glad you had it for a time because they certainly don't owe it to you.

Honored Contributor

True, while communicating dissatisfaction to corporate may not have the desired effect, @gertrudecloset ,  it probably at least helps those who feel blindsided, coping with social media shutdowns.   A number of the posters have been expressing how sad they are to lose long-term online relationships, in some cases for decades.

But they are also regrouping, and have started lists of movie discussion sites that people might want to look into. And some people are checking those out in detail, and reporting back on which ones seem good or which ones might be inactive, "duds", etc.    So that's good.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

True, while communicating dissatisfaction to corporate may not have the desired effect, @gertrudecloset ,  it probably at least helps those who feel blindsided, coping with social media shutdowns.   A number of the posters have been expressing how sad they are to lose long-term online relationships, in some cases for decades.

But they are also regrouping, and have started lists of movie discussion sites that people might want to look into. And some people are checking those out in detail, and reporting back on which ones seem good or which ones might be inactive, "duds", etc.    So that's good.

@Oznell I don't understand this thinking.  "Blindsided?"  For something you got for free?  I can't wrap my brain around why some would feel entitled to continue to receive something free of charge to them.  Makes no sense.

Esteemed Contributor

No one on the TCM forums has posted anything about feeling entitled to a message board service.

They are, to a person, disappointed and were not anticipating such a rapid shutdown,  so yes. "blindsided" is a fair and reasonable description by Oznell.

Honored Contributor

The honest reality:

Message boards are considered an antiquated form of social media and companies don’t want to continue to maintain them. Their focus is on other platforms.
Honored Contributor

I don’t think Nov 30 is a rapid shutdown. It’s not like there is no advance notice.