Honored Contributor

@SHARK E, STRAPPING STEVE COCHRAN ALERT!

[ Edited ]

@SharkE,   I know you are a fan of our hunky pal.

steve-cochran.jpg

THURSDAY, 10:00 p.m. Eastern TCM--  "Tomorrow is Another Day"   Steve Cochran, Ruth Roman, Lurene Tuttle, Ray Teal, Morris Ankrum

Steve is an uncertain ex-con, who takes up with dancer Ruth Roman, only to be plunged into criminal peril again by her jealous, corrupt police boyfriend....

Steve and Ruth have to go on the lam.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 6.31.21 PM.png

Evidently, part of her scheme to elude the police is to go blonde-- funny to see Ruth Roman as a non-brunette.  I like both her and Steve, and though I haven't seen this, it sounds like a pretty good pairing.  

4aef6f5a12820941fbce5da177849b29--ruth-roman-vintage-movies.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: @SHARK E, STRAPPING STEVE COCHRANE ALERT!

I remember him.  I'm embarrassed to admit that when I received any glossies of him when I sent off for an unspecified batch of glossies of movies stars, I relegated Steve's photos to the bottom of my pile.

Don't get me wrong, he was attractive.  However, he was never one of the prominent stars of his era. 

There had to be Tier 3 stars, of course, and actors to star in RKO and Universal movies.

Honored Contributor

Re: @SHARK E, STRAPPING STEVE COCHRAN ALERT!

[ Edited ]

(Edited to add-- I just realized I've been misspelling his name, adding an "e" on the end of Cochran!  Will correct.)

Oh, @golding76 ,   Steve had pent-up fury and real charisma!   Was fab in "White Heat" with Cagney and Edmond O'Brien.

I love him as a sort of younger swain to older "cougar" Merle Oberon in some over-heated melodrama I'm forgetting the name of...   so campy and fun, and Merle wore all her real life jewels, a priceless collection...

Such a film noir natural.  I'm convinced he could have had a bigger career, but I do believe he had personal "issues", unfortunately.   Could be wrong, but think I read that somewhere... 

Honored Contributor

oznell, without reservation I trust your evaluation of Steve.  After all, I was nothing but an impressionable grade-schooler when  I watched his movies for the first time.  Something tells me I need to revisit Steve in the twilight of my life to give him a fair shake.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Only after recently seeing -- for the first time -- James Cagney in White Heat did I regard him with the full respect that he always deserved.  My lands!  His Cody Jarrett blew the roof off the drama house.  Whew!

I'm going to have to check out Steve again.  Thank you for the nudge. 

[I'm also going to check if I have anything from yesteryear of Steve in my stash of old clippings and photos.]

Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, @golding76 ,  even so, he may simply not be your cup of tea;   I always find myself singularly unmoved by James Dean, who almost everyone else finds interestingly tortured and rugged, etc. 

But as usual, you are intrepid and intellectually curious, even unto movie hunks!

Honored Contributor

yeah, he''s a gorgeous hunk I would had took him up on it LOL

shame, I read where he died young. Can't remember what of, but, was crying shame. I liked James Arness too back during the very early shows in the late 50's and early very early 60's. When he had dark curly hair.

as he got older he lost his looks I suspect  it was from being out in the sun so much, wind and elements. His later yrs he just done a movie a yr. and he looked awful . Hair got long and grey, wrinkled bad.

Ruth looked awful as a blonde. just wasn't normal look. She wasn't pretty enough for him anyway. LOL   Have to Google him again.

Thanks @Oznell  I think I've seen it, but, won't hurt the Tivo to go again

LOL

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

yeah, he''s a gorgeous hunk I would had took him up on it LOL

shame, I read where he died young. Can't remember what of, but, was crying shame. I liked James Arness too back during the very early shows in the late 50's and early very early 60's. When he had dark curly hair.

as he got older he lost his looks I suspect  it was from being out in the sun so much, wind and elements. His later yrs he just done a movie a yr. and he looked awful . Hair got long and grey, wrinkled bad.

I THINK he was the one who died on his yacht with lots of female companions. I don't think he ever get old, did he?

Honored Contributor

@SharkE  and  @Judaline ,   such a shame about Steve Cochran.  Thinking about other promising actors who didn't get to fully mature on screen--  Steve McQueen, for all that he packed into his rocketing career, only made it to around 50,  I think. 

Honored Contributor

Think Judaline is thinking about Errol Flynn. I'll google Cochran again.