Honored Contributor

SEVENTIES THRILLER- GENEVIEVE BUJOLD, MICHAEL DOUGLAS MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Midnight Eastern Tonight (Wednesday going into Thursday)  "Coma"--   Genevieve Bujold, Michael Douglas, Richard Widmark, Rip Torn, Elizabeth Ashley

Finally, a little-aired, highly-regarded suspense film on TCM!   Genevieve Bujold is a busy young doctor at a Boston hospital, who is shocked when her hospitalized friend suddenly dies.  She starts to notice other, seemingly healthy young adults lapsing into comas and becoming "brain-dead".  

Her physician-boyfriend (Michael Douglas) is also baffled--  but there seem to be powers, higher up in the profession who foil her determined efforts to get to the bottom of the mysterious, deadly phenomenon.  Her investigations lead her straight into danger...

lqSrXYzmMEAFkintG5WfIJ57occ.jpgIt's a treat to see Genevieve Bujold, always an interesting, intelligent actress.  Fun fact:  At the start of their careers, both Tom Selleck and Ed Harris have tiny roles in this.

Good midnight viewing tonight! 

Honored Contributor

Re: SEVENTIES THRILLER- GENEVIEVE BUJOLD, MICHAEL DOUGLAS MIDNIGHT EASTERN TCM

Haven't seen this one in awhile.  Whatever happened to her?  Good actress.  I know she was a "captain" on Star Trek for awhile but was replaced and after that never heard any more about her.  Too bad.

Honored Contributor

This is a good one and I will be taping it for sure.  I remember Bujold playing Anne Boelyn in Anne of a Thousand Days, Richard Burton played Henry the VIII, I think it was out in  the late sixties, she did a great job as I recall.  I don't think Coma or Anne of a Thousand Days often plays on TV.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Great film, one of my favorites over the years!  Michael Douglas was in his early 30's when this film was released...oh so gorgeous.  Tom Sellek had a bit part in the film.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I liked Coma so much, hadn't seen it until Movies ran it a while ago, that I bought a DVD that had four Michael Douglas movies on it, including coma, cheap.

Valued Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell.  I was an RN in a large hospital when the book came out in the late '70s. I think we were all reading it at the same time!  I really liked the movie, but as usual for me, I liked the book better. I'll set this on DVR and watch it tomorrow. I haven't seen it since it came out. 

Honored Contributor

That must have been fascinating to have been in the medical field when the novel came out, @Ruby Laine .  Wasn't it Robin Cook who wrote it, and Michael Crichton directed-- no wonder it was good!

@kaydee50,  she's in her late 70's now, and apparently she has continued to work, but in a more low-profile way, up until at least 2015.   She's been good in everything I've seen her in.  Loved her in Brian de Palma's "Obsession" with Cliff Robertson, and the very suspenseful "Tightrope" with Clint Eastwood.  She was even in that entertainingly koo-koo "Dead Ringers" with Jeremy Irons, who played wacko twin gynecologists in that...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I never could understand her French accent.

that Jeremy Irons movie was disgusting. Dr. doing painful disgusting exams of women. Stunted my growth.  He was mental

Honored Contributor

I wonderd if I could find a picture of a young Tom Selleck in his tiny role in this.  Voila.

MV5BYWU1NDc2NDMtNmQ1ZC00YjVkLWFiNmUtMWMzNDZjZDZlMzk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUwNjM4MjA@._V1_.jpg

And a young Ed Harris:

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell wrote:

I wonderd if I could find a picture of a young Tom Selleck in his tiny role in this.  Voila.

MV5BYWU1NDc2NDMtNmQ1ZC00YjVkLWFiNmUtMWMzNDZjZDZlMzk0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUwNjM4MjA@._V1_.jpg

And a young Ed Harris:

@Oznell  Thanks for posting a picture of Tom....he is so handsome...you made my day!