Super Contributor

Re: SEVENTIES' DETECTIVE SERIES

I hope I am not the only one who liked Simon & Simon.  It wasnt mentioned here but is a favorite show of mine along with Rockford Files, Columbo,  and McMillan & Wife.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

In honor of you, @NAES1, the "Mission Impossible" theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7alss3sDJdg

I like all the iterations of "Mission: Impossible".    Barbara Bain was such a cool, Grace Kelly-esque character.  I think Greg Morris' son also became an actor of note...

@Oznell

Thank You, 'THANK you'....

I loved the opening music. I've listened over and over. I want to save this one!!  Music scores fascinates me. Always have- always will.

I learned a lot from my husband being a musical professional with composition and different sound techniques- how instruments can stimulate the mind. 

He will listen to the movie's music score and explain what is coming next.  

My husband will love this.

I can name any movie we have seen and he can whistle it completely through. Also, conducting with his hands/ arms where the music is reaching, or changing over to another instrument.

ME:  haaaa, Not the most elegant contribution to his profession but the best that I can explain, since I am not a musician of any kind. 

For example: Splendor in the grass: In the beginning we all know the intro. Through the movie, there are over 25 different ranges playing the same arrangement but totally at different speeds, different instruments, and with pause in between, chord changes, some are more upbeat, others more sorrowful and depressing.

""""I never knew that""""" until he told me WHAT to LISTEN what is  next. Do I hear that?

I never had natural music talent or had studied at several music conservatories.

Exciting to hear your husband playing with the Big bands. Exhilarating. I was so proud what came as simply ~ease~.

You were very astute knowing about the bongo drums and the power of the show's intrigue or substance content to happen. 

I caught on to the music arrangement of The Big Country by myelf.  My husband had never heard or seen that movie and was surprised that I could note the changes by memory. 99% Jazz.

He said sometime if you cannot read or write music -one can have the ability to know the instrument (s) which I can do at >average levels.   

Just some trivia. I brought that up, because I remembered the Mission Impossible opening music. 

Well, I will not bore you with something I am not certified in, as complicated in music, for me.

Thank you for the (S) being left off of BAIN. 

"...listening to the music which I can record"

A caring Heart for you. Thank you,,,,,,,,,,,, NAES

Valued Contributor

Six million dollar man

Bionic Woman

Charlies angels

Starsky and hutch

I was in high school in this era and loved all of these.  In the 80s, I did love Simon and Simon!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

Thanks, @NAES1!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Oznell wrote:

@cimeranrose, I've been wondering if Wikipedia or someone had a comprehensive list, and behold!   This one isn't perfect, but I tried to stump it by seeing if it omitted some really obscure series, and so far, I haven't been able to!

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:American_crime_television_series&pageuntil=Polic...

The earlier shows, that I tend to be drawn to, are of course a matter of taste, (mine is usually retro by default of course), but also of world view, I think.

Vintage crime and detective shows tend to have a vision of the world in which there is an objective truth, that can often be discerned, and there is right and wrong.  Even the best film noir, while it showed decadence, most often had a point of view that succumbing to that toxicity was wrong.  That might be putting it too simply, but essentially true, I think.  Where some of the more recent TV crime shows go off the tracks, in my view, is the glorying in the dark side for the sake of the darkness, for example...

I agree with that statement, @Oznell.  Shows such as Criminal Minds.  I actually liked the early seasons but stopped watching probably for a similar reason that Mandy Patinkin left the show altogether.

A real favorite, although 1960s not 70s, was The Avengerswith Diana Rigg.  She was my idol back then; maybe she still is.

Related image

My idol, too!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yes, @GingerPeach, what a cool and stylish example!   I also like some of the even earlier British crime shows, like "The Saint", and  "Secret Agent" or "Danger Man" with Patrick McGoohan...

Yes!!!

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I was just saying to a girlfriend that many comedies from yesterday were now on oldies TV. I want to see Moonlighting and Remington Steele. Thought both leading men were hunks. They still are.

added bonus -  Doris Roberts was the assistant before her Everybody loves Raymond days.

I don't think these 2 shows ever made the repeat rounds on any channel.

OMgosh, Moonlighting was my favorite show!!! Bruce Willis was so funny. Maddie wouldn't give him the time of day, cool till the end. Speaking of which, it got kind of sappy at the end. I remember they did a film noir segment once-Cybil Shepherd sang, 'Blue Moon'. I loved it. It had it all. She sang in a very mundane, unsophisticated way. She of course had on a strapless number, and as I recall, it was a smoky scene because everybody smoked. The theme music by Al Jarreau gave me chills I loved it so much. I have the Moonlighting album. It's all on there. sigh

ETA: I hadn't gotten into my anglophile stage yet-then came Poirot, Holmes and the lot. My faves.

Anybody remember Then Came Bronson? Michael Parks? Loved that. Loved rebels. There were some good shows then.

Dragnet from the fifties was a hard one to beat-would love to see re-runs of these. 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, at one point some channel was running "Dragnet"--  MeTV or maybe TVLand?  Fun.  Love the whole deadpan Jack Webb production values!  Am sure it will cycle back again...

Michael Parks was a special kind of actor, and I'm not even that enamored of "Method" actors in general (which I'm thinking he was?) but I really liked him!

Honored Contributor

Baretta was from the 70s, with Robert Blake and the cockatoo.  I don't remember watching it too much, but I'd tune in again just out of curiosity.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

OMG, people!

CHARLIE'S ANGELS

Image result for charlie's angels

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.