Honored Contributor

SCREWBALL COMEDY DAY TCM TUESDAY

The genre "screwball comedy" has a very specific meaning in classic films.  They're the ones that were made after the onset of the Depression, and they're the opposite of "depressing".   They're light, zany, fun, whimsical, full of preposterous situations and sometimes, people.   They have romance and glamorous wish fulfillment for audiences everywhere. 

The madcap heiress, the stuffy young professor, the kooky husband, the person going humorously incognito for a variety of reasons--  these characters and more, populate screwball comedy.

The genre was tailor made for the talents of Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, William Powell, Myrna Loy, Irene Dunne, Jean Harlow, Robert Montgomery. 

Sorry I got in too late to alert the wonderful "Libeled Lady", (which is in progress), but note that "Bringing Up Baby",  "His Girl Friday",  and the somewhat lesser-seen but fabulous "The Awful Truth" are on tap today:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule

Honored Contributor

Re: SCREWBALL COMEDY DAY TCM TUESDAY

@Oznell  Not really a fan of "screwball" comedy, many times just too silly for my taste.  But one that I like a lot, not sure it qualifies, is Ball of Fire with Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper.  Otherwise, the main reason to watch these movies, IMO, is the great actors who made the preposterous situations believable.

Honored Contributor

Ohh, "Ball of Fire",  great example, @kaydee50-- although I think most of the ones shown today happen to be glittering examples of the genre and equally worthwhile.

Let's see-- my favorite screwball comedies would be--  "His Girl Friday" (LOVE Cary Grant's sly sharpster, and Roz Russell's breezy, wary (of Cary) reporter),   "It Happened One Night",  and another Claudette Colbert gem I'd like to see more of,   "Midnight".

But my favorites tend to revolve according to mood, ha.

Honored Contributor

@OznellOh, of course, It Happened One Night, one of my all time favorites.  The other one I like is The Lady Eve.  But again, made great by the great performances.

Honored Contributor

Talk about screwball, did you happen to watch 'Sunday Morning' this past Sunday with Jane Pauley? She did a story on Laurel & Hardy. Very good, very funny.

Honored Contributor

I didn't see it, @PINKdogWOOD, but I think @Annabellethecat66 did, and was talking about it.  Exciting that they're making a biopic of Laurel and Hardy!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the heads up on the screwball comedies. Love them!

Looking forward to Joan Crawford in "Possessed" and Bette Davis in "The Great Lie" tomorrow. My favorite gals!

Whoever gave the heads up of "Twilight Zone" on SyFy...Thank you. Saw lots of young stars in them that are up there in age now.

Honored Contributor

I saw that "The Great Lie" was on tomorrow, @catsgalore5354, but missed "Possessed"--  thanks!

Another, much more obscure film, but still a fun mystery, with Ruth Roman and Richard Todd, is on at 6:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Lightning Strikes Twice"...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  And I must say the two gentlemen who are playing the roles SO MUCH resemble Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy it's uncanny. They appeared to have had great fun at it too.

Honored Contributor

I think You Can't Take it with You was a great example of a screwball comedy. I came upon it too late today but it's on a lot-gotta be in the mood, lol.