Honored Contributor

SATURDAY IS RITA MORENO DAY ON TCM

[ Edited ]

The multi-talented Rita Moreno tended to disperse her prodigious energies among many outlets-- theater, TV, etc., but fortunately she has appeared in enough films to warrent a "Summer Under the Stars" honor.

Rita-Moreno-West-Side-Story-clip-screenshot-600x376.jpg

The schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=PST&sdate=2019-08-10

Fans will gravitate to "West Side Story" of course-- her role in that won her Best Supporting Actress Oscar.  It's on at 10:00 p.m. Eastern.

Others of interest:

5:45 p.m. Eastern--  "Summer and Smoke"  Geraldine Page, Laurence Harvey, Rita Moreno, Una Merkel, Thomas Gomez

Sultry Tennessee Williams scorcher about the unlikely chemistry between a sedate spinster and a reckless young doctor.

And for recording at 2:30 a.m. Eastern:

"Marlowe"--  James Garner, Gayle Hunnicutt, Carroll O'Connor,  Rita Moreno, William Daniels, Sharon Farrell

James Garner embodies the famous sleuth on the trail of murder in a Chandleresque mystery.

(Interestingly, Rita Moreno would later appear to great acclaim on Garner's landmark TV detective show, "Rockford"....)

ent3-rita-moreno_2018-11-24_17-43-31.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: SATURDAY IS RITA MORENO DAY ON TCM

I don't know if she still holds the record, but for a long time she was the ONLY to have been awarded an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Tony.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

I don't know if she still holds the record, but for a long time she was the ONLY to have been awarded an Oscar, an Emmy, and a Tony.

You forgot, she also won a Grammy!!

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge Just looked it up - 15 people have the EGOT (you missed the Grammy).  Rita was actually the third to receive all four.  Richard Rodgers was the first.

Not to bring up another actress on Rita’s thread, but I was surprised to see Audrey Hepburn on the list.  Not because I don’t think she’s wonderful (because I do).  Just that I don’t recall hearing that about her.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/551084/egot-emmy-grammy-oscar-tony-award-winners

Honored Contributor

Multi talented Rita Moreno, my favorite scene in West Side Story is the dance on the roof top, all singing America!!!!  The dancing is excellent and Moreno superb!  I haven't seen Summer and Smoke in awhile, thanks for the heads up on that one!  Rita deserves her day on TCM!

Honored Contributor

Oz, it is Geraldine Page, not Fittzgerald in Summer and Smoke!!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oops, thanks for catching that, @Shelbelle!   I still mix the names of those two up, quite often, even though they are distinctly different actresses, and I should be more careful.

ETA--  Correction made!