Honored Contributor

Re: SATURDAY IS KIRK DOUGLAS DAY ON TCM

I have seen many of Kirk Douglas's films, I loved him in his portrayal of Vincent Van Gogh in Lust for Life and Spartacus.  I remember going to the movies and seeing Douglas in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and the Vikings back in the fifties.  He has made many notable films and definitely deserves his salute on TCM.

I enjoyed these days honoring  different actors and actresses.  However, I have to empty my DVR and get set for all the Halloween movies coming up in October, all the Hammers, the ghost stories and basically movies i have seen too many times to mention!!!!!!  LOL

Honored Contributor

Oh, that's right, @spiderw --  you'll be in your element with "horror season" right around the corner!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Missing is Lonely Are The Brave— very fine Douglas,

very poignant story.

Greatly enjoyed Peter Ustinov clip

what a true renaissance man. The much overused genius comes to mind.

Honored Contributor

Oh, I so agree with your discerning assessment of Peter Ustinov, @IMW.   What a delight to listen to--  a brilliant, incisive conversationalist and story-teller, with that mischievous wit always lurking.  Would that there would be more like him today--  but, not possible, he was truly unique!

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  Thanks for the Kirk Douglas reminder. He's one of my all time favs. He could be soooo intense and then turn around and be gentle, cool, calm and collected. He's IMO, one of the best actors we had. At times, when he was on the screen, he filled up the entire screen with his presence. I don't know how to explain it better than that. He always amazed and moved me, no matter what role he played.

He still amazes me. He must be about 102/103 years old. He came through a bad time like the pro he is!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

"Filled up the entire screen with his presence"---   you've nailed it, @Coquille!

Frequent Contributor

One of my guilty pleasures is "The Vikings".  Scared me to death as a poppet (the old witch intoning "Odin! Odin!")   Ernie Borgnine is delicious in a wonderfully hammy role as Kirk's father.  Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh round out the vigorous cast.

Haven't seen "Town Without Pity" in decades.  Gene Pitney's rendition of the title song is the only redeeming quality as I recall.