Respected Contributor

Re: Ryan Phillipe - Secrets and Lies on TV Next Week

I think the doors were significant. Jess' front door was initially locked when Ben tried to enter, so he entered the house through the unlocked back door. When he left the house, he left through the front door, but the front door was suddenly unlocked. It had been locked, which is why he went to the back door. I remember when the camera first zoomed in on the back door as Ben locked it after he had entered, and later the camera zoomed in on Ben locking the door as he was leaving, but he was leaving through the front door.

Could the suddenly-unlocked front door mean Jess may not have been asleep, and she let someone into the house through the front door when Ben was in Tom's bedroom? Could this other person and Jess be responsible for Tom's death? Or could there have been someone else in the house other than Jess and Tom before Ben entered? And did the person leave through the front door, leaving it unlocked, when Ben was in Tom's bedroom? Although, I'm not sure what that would mean, if they left.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/20/2015 Hildegarde Withers said:

What's with neighbor, Elaine, and bringing food dishes to her neighbors? lol

Maybe she's snooping around for some reason. I thought it was strange that she had brought a dish over to Ben's family when all this first happened. In last night's episode, she was in the driveway giving food to Jess and her sister.

Is Elaine the wife of that crazy man who tortured Ben? She needs to keep a low profile after being married to that NUT.

Respected Contributor

Celery, you're saying that Ben didn't do anything wrong and that he had noticed it wasn't locked so he locked it as he left? That makes sense.

I couldn't figure out what he was doing. I had thought, for some reason, he was trying to make sure it was unlocked.

He should have also locked the back door while he was at it.Smile

Hildegarde, Yes, I don't think Ben was doing anything ominous. I think Ben was just routinely locking the door as he left. I don't think Ben remembered the front door had initially been locked - especially since he would have still be under the influence of the drug Dave slipped him, along with the alcohol, and he wouldn't have been thinking that clearly. BTW, I agree with what you posted earlier about it being odd that they showed Ben suddenly acting sober when he was in the house.

Also, Ben did lock the back door. He locked it right after he had entered the house. Remember the first time the camera zoomed in on Ben locking the door? It was right after he entered the house through the back door. The second time the camera zoomed in on the door was when Ben was leaving through the front door. That's why I think it's significant that they showed us the two shots of the camera zooming in on the front door and the back door. They wanted to establish Ben locking the doors, and to show us the front door had somehow become unlocked.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

I, also, think the lock box full of cash Ben found behind the insulation in the attic might belong to Dave. When Ben and Dave went back to the bar to try to recreate where they had been the night Tom was killed, Dave started to pay the bar tab, and Ben was surprised because Dave is supposed to be broke. Ben asked if Dave had "come into some money." and Dave replied he had "won $25 from a scratch off" lottery ticket. To me, Dave looked a little uncomfortable, and caught off-guard. That scene just seemed too random to me to not be important in some way. Not sure if Dave is secretly wealthy, and just hiding the cash in the attic or if he did something illegal to have that much cash. Is he somehow involved in Tom's murder?

If the lock box belongs to Dave, could the money for the lawyer's retainer fee actually have come from Dave, and not from Christy? Ben didn't think it was possible for Christy to have that much money. I know Ben's lawyer said his research shows the cashier's check came from Christy, but could Dave have somehow done something to make it seem like the check came from Christy? Is he trying to frame Christy? I know he doesn't like Christy, and a lot of the episodes have reinforced that with negative comments Dave has made about Christy. The previews for next week's show have him saying something about Christy having a motive. Even if he really dislikes Christy, I can't believe he would murder an innocent little boy just to get Christy out of Ben's life. So I guess he could just be trying to frame Christy, but not actually have had anything to do with Tom's murder.

BTW, that was a lot of cash in the lock box. Each bundle was marked $10,000, and there were a lot of bundles!

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Ever wonder why Ben didn't tell Cornell about the bloody, blue jacket that Matty had dropped and then disappeared when he went back to get it? Or had he and I missed that part?

No, I don't think he did mention it to Cornell. I think I remember Dave or Christy asked if he was going to let Cornell know about the jacket, but he said it would only hurt him in the long run (or something like that).

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

On 4/20/2015 dobiesrule said: This has become one of my favorite shows. Really liked last night. Is next week the very last show or is it going to continue? I thought when I first heard about it that it was going to be just a one time short series. Did I dream that?

From what I read, if the ratings are good, they'll bring back the show with a new cast and a new mystery.

I wanted to add that there are actually two more episodes left. I know the previews made it sound like there is only one episode left, but there are two more episodes. In the previews they said something like "Only one more episode left before the dramatic ending...," which made it sound like the next episode is the last episode. Then the preview continued by saying something about "one episode left before the finale." I can't remember the exact wording, but I do remember thinking it was misleading. I'm glad there are two more episodes because I don't want it to end!

I, also, heard the same thing Hildegarde mentioned about a second season having a new story with new cast.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Hildegarde, I think I may be wrong about the locked vs unlocked doors. I just watched the episode again, and now I see the direction Ben turned the lock on the front door was different from the direction he turned the lock on the back door. When Ben was at the back door, he turned the lock to the right, and when Ben was at the front door, he turned the lock to the left. So I guess he unlocked the front door as he was leaving, but I still don't think he had any ill intent. I'm thinking that as he was leaving through the front door, he turned the lock out of habit/routine, and didn't think about the direction he was turning the lock because he was still somewhat impaired by the drug/alcohol. I just haven't thought of Ben as the murderer, but who knows....

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Celery, I just read your post concerning Dave and the money. Wow! You are really good. I think you might be right. I didn't give it a 2nd thought when he said he had won the money from a scratch off.

Have they ever mentioned what Dave does for a living?

Maybe Dave likes Christy, but pretends he doesn't and that's why he wants Ben to get together with Jess. It's a possibility that Christy and Dave could be in on something together...although that would be hard to believe. lol

Hope the ending in the Australian version is nothing like the ending they have planned for this show.

I don't know if I'm right on that, but I just thought Dave acted weird when paying the bar tab, after Ben was surprised he had the money to pay.

I don't recall if it was ever mentioned what Dave did for a living. I just think there's more to him than we've seen so far.

eta: Please don't post how the original Australian series ended!! I've been trying to avoid spoilers, and I'm almost afraid to read these threads because I don't want to know! ha ha

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

Cornell will be going back to the woods to search for clues that might have been missed and she'll probably find the computer device that Matt had dropped in the water. I noticed that he had been holding a computer during that one scene at his home so I'm assuming he had 2 devices.

Didn't Ben "save" Matt's tablet from the water? There are so many details to remember! I don't know if I want to go back and try to watch the episode! :-) I actually would like to watch the first episode again, but it's not On-Demand through my cable company (Time Warner). Bummer.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

I just googled where can I watch the latest episode of Secrets and Lies and several websites came up.