Honored Contributor

Re: Russian Olympic Skater possible positive test for banned substance?

@TurnerGal @SeaMaiden @Mz iMac @nevergivesup @chi5925 

In fact, while watching Valieva during the last two months, it ran through my mind this: 

"maybe the human body CAN do all of those aerial spins back to back" it seems humanly impossible when watching, at least to me.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Well as of right now they are going to allow her to skate.  They may not present her a medal if she wins. 

I am torn on this,  I think she is extremely talented, maybe the best ever, and she is only 15 years old,  I am sure it was a coach that gave her the drug.  So part of me thinks she should be able to skate,  but it sets such a bad precedent going forward with other athletes. 

I think her coach should be given some type of penalty.  Not sure if everyone knows but the other two Russian female skaters are coached by the same woman.  If Kamilla is not allowed to skate,  most likely the other two Russian female skaters wiill win medals. 

I don't think it's and easy decision.

Honored Contributor

I think once again, the Russians are a bunch of liars.  Who believes them about anything involving this?  What a shame that this has put such a bad light on one of the most highlighted events.

Trusted Contributor

I honestly have not watched one minute of this Olympics because of them being in China.  This latest scandal only adds to my distaste and leaving me with do desire to wach at all.  

Sadly I believe that if this skater was from another country she would not be allowed to compete.

Honored Contributor

This whole Olympics has left a bad taste in my mouth! And its really too bad, as I was looking forward to them and love the Olympics, but this year, I haven't watched more than 10 or 15 minutes of them...... 

Esteemed Contributor

If you test positive for a banned substance, you should be out.  

Honored Contributor

From what I hear, she tested positive in December.   So, I thought that was a thing that gets you kicked out.  period.

But, if they re-evaluated the case, I'd like to think that she has not tested positive SINCE that time.

Also, it feels odd to me that now she can skate but she cannot receive a medal.   It seems like it should be either you're out or you're in.   That is the only part that has me stymied.

Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

From what I hear, she tested positive in December.   So, I thought that was a thing that gets you kicked out.  period.

But, if they re-evaluated the case, I'd like to think that she has not tested positive SINCE that time.

Also, it feels odd to me that now she can skate but she cannot receive a medal.   It seems like it should be either you're out or you're in.   That is the only part that has me stymied.

Yes she tested positive on a test done on Christmas.  The Russians are angry it took 6 weeks for the case to be processed.  Since then she has had two negative tests. 

Esteemed Contributor

She is a 15 year old girl. The Doctors and Coaches are liable.

The test was done after the Worlds in December.... don't know why this is brought up nowl.  Does it take that long for the test to show results.

Honored Contributor

@TurnerGal wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

Yes she tested positive on a test done on Christmas.  The Russians are angry it took 6 weeks for the case to be processed.  Since then she has had two negative tests. 

Thanks for the additional info.   Smiley Happy  I don't know the rules and don't know enough to have a fully formed opinion, but the Olympics weren't going on in December so this is still rather odd.

It seems to me that if she can perform she should get her due.  I don't see how it can go both ways - perform, but not being considered.  Weird.