Honored Contributor

Runway: Fashion Startup - New Show - Possible Spoilers.

This is another form of Shark except it's people who are totally designers (i.e. clothing, jewelry, limited, etc).  They pitch their designs and ideas (some are really basic and some are downright strange).  One product I saw was called "WXYZ".  Good grief!  You'd need to see it.

http://themuse.jezebel.com/project-runway-fashion-startup-is-the-shark-tank-rip-o-1787982493

http://2paragraphs.com/2016/10/wxyz-beyonces-711-jewelry-pitched-on-project-runway-fashion-startup/

Would you pay several hundred dollars for this thing?

Respected Contributor

Re: Runway: Fashion Startup - New Show - Possible Spoilers.

Hi, @Annabellethecat66!

I'd DVRed the show, & finally got around to watching it last night.

To answer your question: No! I would never buy any of WXYZ's designs! I've no idea how she even got her items into such prominent stores.

To each their own, but to me, a classic example of The Emperor's New Clothes.

As far as her lower price point (plastic) jewelry was concerned, I had to laugh when one of the attendees at her pop-up store said it reminded her of colored straws. That's exactly what I'd thought! Smiley LOL

What did you think of the guy who pitched the idea of Bear Hug hoodies?? OMG, so silly, and he hadn't even tried to bring them to market, so had zero sales. D-U-M-B idea.

To me, if you just wore a regular hoodie & wanted to warm up & give yourself a bear hug, you'd just slip your arms out of the sleeves and wrap them around you underneath!

The Indian girl I remembered from Shark Tank, back when she presented her origami boxes.

I'm a Shark Tank fan, so will probably keep watching this fashion version. It cracked me up when instead of saying "I'm out.", they said "I'll have to pass."

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini Thanks for your post.  I enjoyed and love reading what others think of things.  Yes, it was funny about the girl with the pop up thing!  

From the minute I saw her walk on I thought..."OK that would sell at a place like "Burning Man" or Comic Con, but who'd walk around the streets wearing the thing.  Maybe you could wear it to a club for younger people or a RAVE party....Ha!

Did you know many of the people who go on Shark Tank have no intention of going with those people?  Well, maybe not a lot but quite a few do.  They just want the exposure, and they sure get it, don't they.  There's a lot to doing that show that the public has no idea.  I find facts like that interesting, often more interesting than the show itself!

My youngest adult daughter lives in Denver.  She and her friend ski, hike, fish (you name it) almost every weekend.  I know she'd love something lightweight she didn't have to carry but would keep her warm.  The temperature from one area to another is an entire different season!  Sometimes she'll take pictures with her cell phone and send them to me and within hours she's been through all of the seasons (temperature-wise, leaves, snow, etc).  It's fun to see.   She was training a dog to carry some of the supplies for her (just very lightweight clothing) but it didn't work out because the dog was too rambunctious.  Ha!

I know they make clothing for all of that (boy do I know, I pay for it)....

Outdoors quality clothing for sports is very expensive.  You often get what you pay for, so I was at first interested in his proposal then realized how dumb it was.

Back to the girl with the weird jewelry....I kept looking at the hat and head gear and wondering if she soldered it together or how she held the various pieces together.  I thought it would be neater if the things, like the hat folded up!  Ha!

I've never been to Burning Man but always thought it would be neat to go.  I have family members (they are in pretty well know Rock Band) who have performed in the bigger ones.  I often pay for my daughter (the Denver one) to do many of the neat things I always wanted to do but got too old too fast.  She's done some amazing and fun things and I didn't mind paying for them but they get really expensive....but worth it.

What do you think of my idea of someone wearing that "straw" jewelry nightclubbing, etc.  Ha!

Respected Contributor

Hi @Annabellethecat66!

Yeah, maybe young folks would wear the hat out clubbing, I actually like the way the bra looked on one of the judges! Smiley LOL

But still, the designs seem so crude, you know? And in actuality, she had very few designs. Just not my cup of tea!

Oh, the Indian girl's tank top totes? I wasn't a fan of those either.

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@sabatini I thought it was too simple!  That long thing hanging would drive someone crazy!  If you wore the shirt and sweated, it would get wet and your 'stuff' would stink to heaven, right?  So then what?  You'd walk around with a wet "PURSE"? no top and your stuff would smell like Body Odor (with capital letters).  Ha!

Oh!  Yes!  Almost forgot the stupid zipper would probably scratch your skin.  Metal zippers get hot in the sun and they aren't wonderful on unprotected skin. 

I'm such a ding dong....I'd forget to zipper the bottom and everything would directly fall out.  You wouldn't believe the things I've lost recently!  I lost a beautiful saphire and diamond pendant/necklace my husband bought me.  It fell off of my neck.  I looked and knew it was outside somewhere.  I know he paid well over $2,000 for it so I don't wear it much (I just go to Drs and dinner with a friend, that's it).  but I had the thing on.  So, I thought, "Annabelle, you'll go crazy thinking about it".  (I talk to myself, I like the way I don't get an argument that way)....

The next day I went outside and said my chant....this works, you MUST try it, Here's what I say, "St Anthony Come Around...Something's Lost and Can't Be Found" over and over while looking.....

I found it laying near the trash can!  My guy who takes care of the lawn was amazed!  He'd been mowing the lawn (with the riding mower and the blower, weed eater, etc).  He said, "I can't believe I didn't blow it away".  

You see St Anthony is the patron St of the lost, but there's actually some mental power behind it.  There's a theory that when you look for something and you can't see or find it and it's right in front of you it's because your brain is SENDING instead of RECEIVING the image....when you say that over and over you are changing the channeling of your brain and suddenly you see it....(also maybe St Anthony helps...Ha).

Did I make you smile?

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66@sabatini, you mean you didn't order the WXYZ metal gold bra that you wear over your clothes? It's normally $550 but a steal on sale right now at $440. I think you might also be interested in the gold Kitty Kat Ears at $185 or Bunny Rabbit ears at $300. Need to take advantage of her sale! Woman LOL

I really like Shark Tank so was anxious to see this show. A little disappointing so far. Maybe it'll be good for laughs though.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Respected Contributor

@lainey1, ITA! It'll be fun to watch - even if just for laughs. (Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised?)

@Annabellethecat66.....YES! You made me laugh! Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Honored Contributor

@lainey1@sabatini I can't wear something like that because (at the risk of being a bit graphic) the material going in it (material meaning ..well, you know) would have to be gathered up and even then it wouldn't fill it.

I still can't figure out how she keeps it together.  At least it wouldn't be mass produced and (as they say) "You wouldn't see yourself coming and going"....Ha!  Who'd buy it?

What about sizes (of the hat and bra)?  Does one size fit all?  I have a big head (so I've been told...hummm???).

Honored Contributor

I didn't watch, and from the comments posted here, sounds like that was the right decision for me. I am not interested in watching people pitch their products. I'll stick to my regular Project Runway show. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma You didn't miss anything.  The write up said it was a bad 'take' on Shark Tank.  The items were so silly and simple-minded (I hate to say that because I'm sure these are creative people, but these were silly).

It wouldn't last a minute on most of the stations.  On this one they tend to keep everything going so we'll see...... Not on my watch list.

@sabatini You can let us know how it goes and if you see something you think would enrich our livesSmiley Happy be sure to let us know...Ha!  Kidding, are you really going to keep watching it?