Honored Contributor

Re: Roy Rogers Museum in Branson closes

Roy Rogers Show is on Monday -Friday on FE TV. It follows the Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Trusted Contributor

@patbz wrote:

The Roy Rogers Museum in Brandon closedclosed and many of his collection (Trigger and Bullet etc) were auctioned off; many for huge sums of money.  I remember when Roy and Dale had their home and museum near Victorville in CA.  When he died, the collection was moved to Branson.  I hope that Trigger ends up in Gene Autry's museum or in the Smithsonian.

We lived in Victorville for several years and I had the absolute pleasure of meeting Roy and Dale several times. I got his autograph at Denny’s one morning....they were the most gracious, wonderful people. It is so sad to see such a legacy and a part of American Culture being sold to the highest bidder. Roy Rogers will forever be the ultimate cowboy and his sweet wife Dale will always be the ultimate cowgirl. Happy Trails to You....until we meet again. Thats’s what he signed for me.❤️

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl :  Many of the tv westerns were filmed in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine CA (foot hills of the Sierras).  Every year Lone Pine holds a festival to celebrate this heritage (I know that at least one year they had the original Lone Ranger).

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac  Love the picture !!!!!!

Honored Contributor

My son is one member of "Generation Z" (post-millennial) who was fully exposed to Roy, Dale and the Lone Ranger, via retro channels.

The retro TV channels are a fantastic option for parents who want to show their kids a different kind of entertainment than that available today.

I adore vintage pop culture, always have, all the way back to the Teens of the twentieth century.  American westerns are a vital part of that-- it's great that they are preserved on celluloid and run on a variety of channels right up to today.

Valued Contributor

Rider's Rules By Roy Rogers
1. Be neat and clean.
2. Be courteous and polite.
3. Always obey your parents.
4. Protect the weak and help them.
5. Be brave but never take chances.
6. Study hard and learn all you can.
7. Be kind to animals and take care of them.
8. Eat all your food and never waste any.
9. Love God and go to Sunday school regularly.
10. Always respect our flag and our country.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Makes me smile to think about how their show influenced my generation. I had a Dale Evans' vest, cowgirl hat, kerchief for my neck and the stick horse. The neighbor boy behind me, Stephen with a ph, as he would tell people, up and moved one summer. He had the six gun and holster, vest, hat and lasso. We'd share the stick horse and clomp around the backyard together. We'd barely say a word but no doubt we were on a very important mission for mankind  - because that's what Riders did.    

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

THings like RR and muscle cars and other artifacts of the "old days" are dropping in value like crazy.

Oklahoma is pouring money into Route 66 preservation, which I think is a HUGE waste of money.  Nobody much remembers it even now, and certainly it isn't going to be a tourist attraction in 10 years.

Valued Contributor

Did anyone else have their mom send in cereal box tops, or Campbell’s Soup labels, I can’t remember exactly, to get the Roy Rogers wallet? I was a little girl, but I loved it❣️

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

@shaggygirl :  Many of the tv westerns were filmed in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine CA (foot hills of the Sierras).  Every year Lone Pine holds a festival to celebrate this heritage (I know that at least one year they had the original Lone Ranger).

@patbz I'm guessing scenes where they were chasing the bad guys on horseback over and through the terrain. Or just rushing on horseback to save someone or some town! But the still scenes, for the most part in front of the same studio rock and shrub set up. You'll notice in those scenes that the clouds if they show any never ever move.

I've been trying to remember if when I was a kid there were regular length movies of Roy & Dale/Hopalong Cassidy/Gene Autry at the theatres in the town where I grew up or if I know them only from 1/2 hour tv shows. Seems to me they must have made movie theatre movies as well for me to remember them so well but am going blank. If so I doubt the phony scenery was used in those. It was the Saturday afternoon "must do" and probably cost a nickle way back then.