Esteemed Contributor

Roy Orbison and Friends A Black and White Night on PBS

[ Edited ]

Tonight, my local Philly PBS station is showing a 1980's ( I think) video of Roy Orbison playing and singing in an intimate setting with several other musicians, like Bruce Springsteen, k.d. lang and others you will recognize. They do all the classic Orbison songs. If you are a fan, you have probably seen this. If you want to hear good music, look for it. I think some of the songs are available on youtube, but it's well worth watching the whole video.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Roy Orbison and Friends A Black and White Night on PBS

[ Edited ]

Love Roy Orbison's voice.  I think I have seen it but wouldn't mind watching again.  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

We like Roy Orbison but I didn't see it on our PBS. 

I guess the programming is not the same for every city.  

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom   Yes originally recorded in Los Angeles at a club in 1987. I don't remember which club.

I believe Cinemax was the first to release the video in 1988.

We have seen this on PBS before - I think it was during one of the membership drives.

Sadly Roy passed away at the end of 1988.

It is a very good film and even if one has never heard of Roy Orbison I strongly recommend listening to the "Caruso of Rock".

Thank you for posting.🎸

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Its a great show!

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess wrote:

We like Roy Orbison but I didn't see it on our PBS. 

I guess the programming is not the same for every city.  

Thanks.

@OKPrincess  Unfortunately, that's true. I am able to access three PBS stations where I live. Right now they are doing a fundraiser, and I guess they present different specials. The first time I saw this, I bought the video tape for myself and for my brothers. Maybe you can view it from some online source. It's worth the search.

Honored Contributor

Yes I'll get out my handy dandy Cox Communications guide and see what there is.

The regular PBS is showing a nature program about woodpeckers. (The boys may be interested in that one . 🐈‍⬛🐈

@PA Mom-mom 

Esteemed Contributor

Here is the description of the muscians in the audience and playing back-up (from Wikipedia):

Other celebrity admirers of Orbison were in the audience, including David LynchBilly IdolPatrick SwayzeBilly Bob ThorntonSandra Bernhard and Kris Kristofferson. The backing band was the TCB Band, which accompanied Elvis Presley from 1969 until his death in 1977: Glen Hardin on piano, James Burton on lead guitar, Jerry Scheff on bass, and Ronnie Tutt on drums. Male background vocalists, some of whom also joined in on guitar, electric organ and keyboards were Bruce SpringsteenTom WaitsElvis CostelloJackson BrowneJ.D. Souther and Steven Soles. The female background vocalists were k.d. langJennifer Warnes, and Bonnie Raitt

Honored Contributor

I have seem this program and I have it ready to record on my DVR for tomorrow when it will air.  I have always loved Roy Orbison, his voice filled with feeling and so great. I have been a fan since his first big hit in 1960, Only the Lonely.  I just heard one of his great songs, In Dreams,  so many of his songs bring back good memories. I also love KD Lang who is no longer recording, love her voice.  Thanks for your heads up on this program!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@spiderw  In Dreams. So great!