Honored Contributor

Re: Roswell, New Mexico

[ Edited ]

I'll continue to give it a shot but I've decided I think the lead actors are on the weak side, particularly the woman. Maybe it's an idiosyncratic thing but I think that role, at least, could have been better cast. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll tell you, this one is going nowhere fast...

Maybe just me, but overall, I find the cast pretty unappealing and uninspired...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

I'll tell you, this one is going nowhere fast...

Maybe just me, but overall, I find the cast pretty unappealing and uninspired...

@stevieb  I couldn't agree more. After the first episode I thought maybe the show had promise. I was wrong.

The storyline is boring, the characters are boring. I know they probably wanted to 'freshen' things up a bit with the new show, but they changed the characters around so much, and NOT for the better. The new Liz character is extremely unappealing. And as I mentioned in a previous post, she has ZERO chemistry with the new Max.

In the original show Maria was a fun, quirky, vivacious character. Now she just blends into the background. I don't have ANY interest in watching the Michael & Alex love story. It's as if they just threw in gay characters to show some diversity.

I tried, I really did. I'm OUT. 

I recently bought the original show on DVD and have been enjoying seeing all my favorite characters again.                                                              

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt I can't really put my finger on it but other than both the show and casting just being boring, the cast and characters just don't work for some reason... I agree, Liz isn't interesting or likable and frankly Max just seems so needy and he is also boring... I've always liked Michael Trevino and while his role might expand, assuming this thing doesn't get cancelled, the rest of the cast, overall, just isn't doing a thing for me... I think the CW sees themselves as the diversity network and the problem with that is they make it so very glaring, whether their character and casting choices work for any given show or not... Not every show they broadcast has to have a Heinz 57 variety and they probably need to realize that reality... 

Respected Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh I HATED it! It's too bad they chose to go the political route right out of the gate! Not liking how they changed a lot of the characters. Why keep their original names if they aren't anything like they were? I already deleted it from my dvr. Reading the reveiws of the pilot, a lot feel the same way I do. I was so excited that they brought back this once great series but they totally ruined it. Woman Indifferent

It’s not necessarily the political route. For many it’s just the way life is. It’s just that your reality is different, not better or worse.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@lmt I can't really put my finger on it but other than both the show and casting just being boring, the cast and characters just don't work for some reason... I agree, Liz isn't interesting or likable and frankly Max just seems so needy and he is also boring... I've always liked Michael Trevino and while his role might expand, assuming this thing doesn't get cancelled, the rest of the cast, overall, just isn't doing a thing for me... I think the CW sees themselves as the diversity network and the problem with that is they make it so very glaring, whether their character and casting choices work for any given show or not... Not every show they broadcast has to have a Heinz 57 variety and they probably need to realize that reality... 

@stevieb  I've always liked Michael Trevino too, he's the ONLY good thing about this show. 

Speaking of Heinz 57, here is part of an interview with showrunner, Carina Adly MacKenzie ......

“I wasn’t really looking to do another supernatural romance because I’d just come off of five years on The Originals and was feeling really politically engaged,” MacKenzie says. “I wanted to write a show that meant something. I wanted cowboys, grown-ups, murder — and I wanted politics.

“The real Roswell is a cowboy town, and I wanted to explore what that world looks like for people who don’t necessarily fall into the binary,” MacKenzie says. That meant making some character changes from the original series, including making Liz the Latina daughter of an undocumented immigrant and other characters as members of the LGBTQ community. “I don’t have any interest ever in my life making a show with a bunch of white leads — I hope I never do,” says MacKenzie. “So I really wanted to make sure there was a diverse representation on this version of the show.”

Once again the ratings for Tuesday's show have dipped. The second lowest rating for the night, just barely beating a rerun of The Passage.

The numbers for Tuesday:

TimeShowAdults 18-49 rating/shareViewers (millions)
8 p.m.Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC)1.6/77.04
 Super Bowl’s Greatest Commercials 2019 (CBS) – S1.0/47.92
 American Housewife (ABC) – R0.6/33.27
 The Masked Singer (FOX) – R0.6/32.12
 The Flash (The CW)0.6/32.01

8:30 p.m.The Kids Are Alright (ABC) – R0.5/22.49

9 p.m.Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC)1.7/76.97
 NCIS (CBS) – R0.6/36.54
 Black-ish (ABC) – R0.5/22.32
 Roswell, New Mexico (The CW)0.3/11.29
 The Passage (FOX) – R0.3/11.20

9:30 p.m.Splitting Up Together (ABC) – R0.4/21.94

10 p.m.Ellen’s Game of Games (NBC) – R1.2/64.87
 FBI (CBS) – R0.6/35.38
 The Rookie (ABC) – R0.4/22.39
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt... Interesting... I guess it's all about HER and what SHE wanted to do...  Never mind the audience... Whatever... Maybe if the CW ever moves away from being the Julie Plec and Company network they'll have some mainstream success... As far as it goes, 'I don't have any interest ever in my life' (how arrogant)... of continuing to follow this hot mess unless something significant changes in the next week or two, which I don't think is going to happen... Trevino, in the utter and complete absence of anything else of interest or that's appealing, is only going to keep me hooked in for so long...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt  and others... Anybody still watching this hot mess... I stuck with it longer than I expected to... I kept hoping it would get better or at least go somewhere, but it never seems to do either... How many ever weeks into this we are, these characters seem to be having the same conversations they were having Week 1... Liz is still ranting about her dead sister and Max is still sniveling... I get it that the CW seems to like to renew everything on its schedule, but with this one, bad writing, marginal acting, iffy casting and a story going nowhere fast, well, if they don't pull the plug, I will... Sheesh, even the backtracking to elucidate backstory is boring...