Respected Contributor

@MarnieRez3 wrote:
@CatsyCline
Wow! I now want to go back and read the novel! Quite a find...I never knew she changed the baby's name to Andrew...
And it sounds like from what you are quoting, that in the book Rosemary DOES get to see the baby!

that's why i always think i see the baby's eyes are yellow.   i'll have to get the book, it's been 45 yrs at least since i last read it!

ewwww so creepy!!!

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline 

Too funny! Yes, "ewwwwwwwww......" is right - SO creepy! HeartWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

And something not talked about:

They made Mia Farrow’s character so child-like & innocent...

the outfits/dress...mannerisms...they way she talked.

That kinda/sorta added to the ‘eerie-ness’. 

You finished watching with an scary-unsettling feeling. 

Here's a fun article I found 

AUGUST 14, 2015

https://www.anothermag.com/fashion-beauty/7683/lessons-we-can-learn-from-rosemarys-baby

Lessons We Can Learn From Rosemary's Baby 

Rosemary's Baby

Roman Polanski said , 'Let's make 'em think we're doing a Doris Day movie." He wanted everything to look ordinary. People are put at ease by ordinary, and in fact, are put at ease by garish. He didn't want anything in the film to seem sinister. And so protagonist Mia Farrow was dressed in a saccharine sixties wardrobe, her evil neighbours in garish embellishments and the result was indisputably brilliant.....

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

The street scene with Rosemary walking into traffic was not improvised. she really did walk into the street with cars nearly hitting her. The crew freaked a bit and made sure Polanski was holding the camera.

One of the producers plays the guy with the cigar at the phone booth.

John Cassavetes was  already a director of some independent films and as an actor playing Guy wanted to improvise the dialogue - Polanski refused to allow  this becuase he was all precision in his directing and exacting in following the script. The two clashed quite often

@CatsyCline   Cassavettes made an error as when asked by Roman if he had been in Luther, a play, he said no, then a minute later, began to describe his role in the play.

Honored Contributor

Remeber that when it was mentioned the baby's eyes were like his Father's, Satan's face appeared with the red eyes, then faded out.  I saw this movie the other night, so it is fresh in my mind.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

The street scene with Rosemary walking into traffic was not improvised. she really did walk into the street with cars nearly hitting her. The crew freaked a bit and made sure Polanski was holding the camera.

John Cassavetes was  already a director of some independent films and as an actor playing Guy wanted to improvise the dialogue - Polanski refused to allow  this becuase he was all precision in his directing and exacting in following the script. The two clashed quite often

@CatsyCline   Cassavettes made an error as when asked by Roman if he had been in Luther, a play, he said no, then a minute later, began to describe his role in the play.

@mousiegirl   Roman asked Guy if he got the lead part in "Luther" and Guy said no. Roman pressed and mentioned a gesture made by a character.  Guy said there was a scene when Luther was struggling and Guy's character made a motion toward him. So Guy did play a supporting role in "Luther". the dialogue can be seen at approx :26 minutes.

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@mousiegirl   Roman asked Guy if he got the lead part in "Luther" and Guy said no. Roman pressed and mentioned a gesture made by a character.  Guy said there was a scene when Luther was struggling and Guy's character made a motion toward him. So Guy did play a supporting role in "Luther". the dialogue can be seen at approx :26 minutes.

@CatsyCline   That is what i said.

Trusted Contributor
@sidsmom
@MorningLover

You both pointed out things I never realized...those baby doll dresses and Mia's pixie cut and her eyes made to look giant with that eyeliner and false lashes were all intentional. Such an interesting link. Thanks for posting this!
Mia really DID look so wide-eyed, childlike and innocent...like she was dressed for an Easter outing, with her little pastel handbag.
Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@CatsyCline wrote:

@CatsyCline   That is what i said.

@mousiegirl 

you stated Cassavetes made an error. did you say this because i mentioned Polanski's dialogue was to be precisely followed?  

It was no error.  Roman asked Guy if he had played Luther.  Guy said no. Guy had played a supporting role.

Luther was a 3-act play about Martin Luther, dealing with his theological struggles.   At the end of the 2nd act,  Luther denounces the Pope and burns the Papal decree of ex-communication. Roman being the Human version of  Satan knew all of this...it was his test of Guy's religious beliefs because Rosemary had just revealed she was a lapsed Catholic. Guy said his [character] reaching out for Luther was a reflex.  Around all this dinner table dialogue was the fact that  Pope Paul IV was currently visiting NYC.

Honored Contributor

Now that someone else here mentioned this possibility, since I read the book before seeing the movie, I may be remembering the book rather than the movie when Rosemary exclaims in horror, looking at the baby, that it has yellow eyes.   Next time the film is on, I'll make a point of watching the ending.  I could swear Rosemary exclaims he has yellow eyes, but now I'm wondering if I'm getting that from the book.