Respected Contributor

I should be the last person asking since I don't watch them.  But I see the commercials all the time.  I may have watched part of one somewhere along the line.

Is it just me, or are you skeptical they are "real" romances.  The ones I am thinking of are Amy on "Little People Big World" and I think it's Whitney on "My Big Fat Fabulous Life."  I see SO MANY commercials for "90 Day Fiance" and am not sure any of it is real.

I am not buying it!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

Re: Romances on "reality shows"

The desire for being on TV burns a heck of a lot bigger.  All the reality shows are like that.  L.A. filled with would be actors and actors way past their prime..  Those that don't make it in films or scripted TV will try reality TV.  You improvise and encouraged to make drama.  Peole in love are boring.  They're happy and don't fight.  Here you have fighting.  Something intereting.  A Reality star is born.

Honored Contributor

I don’t have strong enough words to describe how much I loathe the idea of these shows. I have never watched one, and I can’t even stand the commercials. I have no interest  in watching these romances - whether real or fake. If they’re real I think it’s really creepy for people to want to show their love affair on TV. I guess the lure of “15 minutes of fame” is strong for these people. 

Honored Contributor

The reality shows with the best romance history are Big Brother and Survivor. Both have had multiple romances and marriages emerge. They've been more effective than the dating/bachelor type shows. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 

No, reality shows aren't real.  

The idea that producers can put together a group of romantic "candidates" and expect someone to pick one to fall in love with is preposterous.  Yes, there will be someone who is the most compatible, but the best they can hope for is to pick the best of the bunch.  No guarantees that the best one will be good enough, though.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont watch most reality shows but do watch Little People Big World, 600 lb life, Big Fat Fab life, Outdaughtered. I have always wondered how real they are and how scripted. Sometimes I even wonder if Whitney and Chase are really engaged for real on Big Fat Fab Life. And if Amy really acts like she does on Little People. On 600 lb life surely the cussing fighting and drama are scripted?!

So many questions lol.

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Was a Big Brother fan until the "romance" got to be more than should have been on any network reality show (this was when viewer could subscribe to "online" camera views of house after hours). That was it for me....no more Big Brother....this was supposed to be a competitive game for about 6 weeks, not contestents sleeping together!  All networks (NBC,Fox,ABC,CBS) have allowed viewers to stream programs over the years, and since I do not have a TV and stream on my computer, that has been my way to view, plus when Netflix and Hulu, etc were introduced years ago. Have been watching all network current programs available on Hulu for years. Was a Survivor fan from day 1 until CBS made streaming a paid situation (AllAccess 2014).... refused to pay to stream CBS...nothing on CBS worth paying for streaming!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I should be the last person asking since I don't watch them.  But I see the commercials all the time.  I may have watched part of one somewhere along the line.

Is it just me, or are you skeptical they are "real" romances.  The ones I am thinking of are Amy on "Little People Big World" and I think it's Whitney on "My Big Fat Fabulous Life."  I see SO MANY commercials for "90 Day Fiance" and am not sure any of it is real.

I am not buying it!

Hyacinth

Zero are real. They're putting on a show. And that includes the Bachelor. Have you ever had a truly honest and intimate discussion about love with your significant other, in front of a big crowd of people with everyone listening?

I don't doubt that people get attracted to each other while on these shows. There's not a lot else to do. But love? There is not enough time or privacy to get to know anyone that well.

I'd also think being on display all the time would put pressure even on marriages that were happy and healthy before the individuals went on one of these shows.

Edited to add: I think some of the breakups are real. Some, and generally not because of any reasons given on the show.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr