Honored Contributor
Anyone out there use roku. I am going to get rid of cable finally😁 lol. My question is can you get tcm tvland etc .
Respected Contributor

while alot of the stuff on  roku is free there is alot of things that you have to pay for.

we have nexflix and hulu. another option is they are available in commercial free.  we pay i think about  26$ a month for both of them. 

they don't have everything. some shows are $1.99 per episode. Lots and lots of options. 

we have had it for well over a year now.  i have found lots of favorite shows. 

best thing i ever did was cut the cable. 

Honored Contributor
Cable is getting so ridiculous. Maybe I will go with Netflix and hulu I know I will get rid of cable lol. Their pricing is not competitive at all. Thanks for your information. Have a great day.
Valued Contributor

we are 'cord cutters' as well and so happy we made the change! I believe all you have to do is search for the channels you want to watch and it will give you the viewing times/days. I find even if I pay the $1.99 for a channel I want to watch, it sure beats the over $200 we were paying for cable! Now, we pay $25/month for the Roku, and then $25 for our internet.

Honored Contributor

@MandyG06 wrote:

we are 'cord cutters' as well and so happy we made the change! I believe all you have to do is search for the channels you want to watch and it will give you the viewing times/days. I find even if I pay the $1.99 for a channel I want to watch, it sure beats the over $200 we were paying for cable! Now, we pay $25/month for the Roku, and then $25 for our internet.

I have some Roku units (mine are Roku3) and have never had to pay a monthly fee just for using it.   Something doesn't seem right about that, unless it's a new thing.

As to the OP - You do know, right, that this won't replace having cable.  Sure there are some 'channels' that cover some of the cable channels but I think most of those have a fee.   

I'm just concerned, as I've seen so many people post here saying that they are going to quit cable, get some sort of streaming device, and think they can now get all the cable channels for free.  It doesn't work that way.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Our upstairs tv is Roku.  We don't pay for anything, we just watch what we have since it's our bedroom tv.  I know I get TV Land but I cannot remember if I get ACM or TCM.  I get one or the other.

I have Spectrum Cable and Roku uses the Spectrum app.  I couldn't stand to have this only for my primary tv because the Spectrum app is down a lot.  At least 4 times a week it's out in the evening for quite awhile.  A few weeks ago I was home sick and was in bed watching tv.  I cannot tell you how many times I lost the tv during the day because the app went down.    

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MandyG06 wrote:

I have some Roku units (mine are Roku3) and have never had to pay a monthly fee just for using it.   Something doesn't seem right about that, unless it's a new thing.

As to the OP - You do know, right, that this won't replace having cable.  Sure there are some 'channels' that cover some of the cable channels but I think most of those have a fee.   

I'm just concerned, as I've seen so many people post here saying that they are going to quit cable, get some sort of streaming device, and think they can now get all the cable channels for free.  It doesn't work that way.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt, I may be wrong but I think if your tv isn't already a Roku tv, you have to buy the Roku device but once you bought the device, I didn't think you paid anything.  I don't know. We pay nothing but in our case I think we are getting what we pay for.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

@MandyG06 wrote:

@chickenbutt, I may be wrong but I think if your tv isn't already a Roku tv, you have to buy the Roku device but once you bought the device, I didn't think you paid anything.  I don't know. We pay nothing but in our case I think we are getting what we pay for.  LOL 

Hi LD!   Yes, that is the case.  When I got mine there was no additional fee just to run them.   I don't have any smart TVs, so I have the Roku3 units connected, as well as my Tivos.  Works great.   I can actually stream pretty much anything through the Tivos too, but when I got the Rokus the older models of Tivos that I had then were just not as good for streaming and were slow.

Maybe I'm just being old, but I don't actually look forward to having to buy a 'smart TV'.  Too many things to go wrong.  I like being able to hook up what I want and I don't need the internet on the tv, too.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Has anyone tried any of the antennas?

I'm thinking of doing that instead of cable.

I looked up a lot that were recommended.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

We cut the cable long ago when it became about $100. a month ( I think at the time that included the old internet ) I have never missed it. I have Roku on all of our tv s . We get HSN and QVC/QVC 2 over the air and I watch Evine & HSN 2 on the Roku. We only pay for Amazon (which includes so much more than prime videos. also Netflix. 

I do not understand what the $25. monthly charge is for on the one post for Roku? Of course there are some fees for some channels. Most of what we use requires our pin for free channels but they inform you of fees

You Tube can be subscribed to free . If you search it just about anything can be found , or at least clips of the newsday etc.