Respected Contributor

I have spent a lot of time watching both these individuals stage homes, Karen on "Good Bones" and Roger on "Sell this House".  I believe Karen's style is very hippie chique while Roger's is more traditional. I believe he is too minimalistic. On tonight's show he placed 2 dining room chairs in the living room and called it a conversation piece.  I did not like it.  I also find his choice of paint colors to be off kilter and the co-host Tanya never challenges his ideas.  Its as though he is a big bully.  I am watching more and more home shows during the Pandemic to distract from the awful news.

Honored Contributor

Re: Roger Hazard vs Karen Laine

@Reever   I used to watch Roger Hazard on Sell this House back in 2003. He would use big cardboard boxes covered in sheets for staging tables and chairs. Haven’t seen any of these new shows.

Trusted Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Reever   I used to watch Roger Hazard on Sell this House back in 2003. He would use big cardboard boxes covered in sheets for staging tables and chairs. Haven’t seen any of these new shows.

I just discovered Sell This House on Dabl.  I love Tanya and Roger together.  STH is so old - but I like Tanya as Hostess and Roger as the Designer.  For me it works.

There are supposed to be new episodes out there but I have not seen them.  I think there are two other designers that work with Tanya.

The old decor is cringy-worthy but fun to look at at the same time.

Honored Contributor

SELL THIS HOUSE is, imo, one of the worst decorating shows that has been on TV.  Roger Hazard's "before" often look better than his "afters".  I watched it originally and now I watch it on Dabl.  It seems so amateurish compared to today's new decorating shows.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

New episodes of Sell this House have been airing on A&E for a couple of months. Roger isn't on the new episodes. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love Good Bones and I used to watch Sell This House years ago w/ Roger.  I've only caught a couple of episodes of the new STH.  I'm sure the budgets on Sell This House were much smaller in comparison to today's budgets but I always thought his staging skills were non-existant.  

As I said, I love Karen and Mina and always love to see how they've decorated a house but their style is not for me.  However, I'm probably not in their target group of potential buyers either. I haven't heard any statistics, but I doubt very many who purchase the homes actually buy all the furnishings anyway.  I know it's offered to the homebuyer but is an additional cost.   I prefer some cohesiveness and not just a hodge podge of shapes, styles and colors.  They usually have a theme for each house but, it always looks the same to me.....but with different "stuff"

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Trusted Contributor

Have you seen 60 Minute Make-Over?  EWWW

I will kill ANYONE who would do a make-over for me with those crazies.  I know they mean well some of those decors are ghastly.

I like any kind of home improvement/make-over show.