Honored Contributor

Re: Rocketman (Elton John Biopic)

This is from today's NY Post (more of the article is there) - I love this.  What the actor playing Elton gave him for his 72nd birthday.

"Of all the over-the-top costumes that Taron Egerton rocked as Elton John in the new movie musical “Rocketman,” which opened Friday, there was one item that the actor kept to give as a special gift.

“I kept the glasses from ‘Your Song,’ ” says the 29-year-old actor of the spectacles that he wears during the scene when John writes the music to Bernie Taupin’s lyrics for the 1970 hit.

“But what I actually did with them was that I got Elton’s reading prescription and I put it in those glasses, and I gave them to him for his 72nd birthday earlier this year,” he tells The Post."

Honored Contributor

Just got back from seeing it and thought it was a wonderful movie. So entertaining and inspiring. As for the talked about sex scenes it's so much ado about nothing. I thought that's it? Have seen so much more in scenes between men and women in movies. What Elton's parents did to him is what is offensive. And the way his manager treated him.

He has survived and found love and raised a ton of money for AIDS. What a life and what a talent.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Just got back from seeing it and thought it was a wonderful movie. So entertaining and inspiring. As for the talked about sex scenes it's so much ado about nothing. I thought that's it? Have seen so much more in scenes between men and women in movies. What Elton's parents did to him is what is offensive. And the way his manager treated him.

He has survived and found love and raised a ton of money for AIDS. What a life and what a talent.

@Greeneyedlady21  I agree completely.  What does it last - ten seconds maybe?

In my post reviewing the film earlier on this thread, I said you know it's about to happen so you can close your eyes for ten second if you don't want to see it.

Happy you enjoyed the film also, like so many of us did.  

Honored Contributor

I saw Rocketman today and it was great.  I must have missed the "graphic scenes" people were complaining about because I did not see them.  I have a hard time sitting still for a movie and the two hours were over before I knew it.  There were all of 8 people there for the early show (10:30 am).  If you like Elton John's music I highly recommend this movie.  

Esteemed Contributor

Finally saw it last night (had no idea that I got a discount on Tuesday for being AMC Stubs member!!)

Anyways, I appreciated learning from you that it was in a musical format going in. Loved the opening scenes - beautifully shot with him in his devil suit. I enjoyed it quite a bit and agree that I didn’t see anything particularly graphic. Was that really what was responsible for the R rating, which is what I’ve read? Or the drug use? I also know that there was some swearing, but I don’t remember a lot of it (at least, so much that I noticed.) I was also surprised by all the people that stayed for ending credits. The very end of the credits and not just the photos of Elton! (Included a nice acknowledgement to Bob Mackie.)

At one point, the woman next to me fell asleep.
Contributor

Saw this movie for my 60th birthday today!! Went alone as I wanted no distractions. It was one of the best movies that I have seen in awhile, and I am a serious going to the movies fan. In fact, I saw it twice. A couple of scenes were real tearjerkers for me. What an incredible job the lead actor playing Elton did in both the acting as well as the singing. If I closed my eyes, I would have thought that it was actually Elton singing. I was not put off by the less than 3 minutes of sex scenes, which were downright rated PG13 for me considering some things I have seen on television. The music brought back a lot of memories and reaffirmed why I am such a fan of Sir Elton Hercules John! Was pleasantly surprised when the last song performed was my absolute favorite Elton song. Loved that it was made while Elton is still here with us. Loved Bohemian Rhapsody, but it was bittersweet since Freddie is no longer here to refute anything. Rocketman made my day and my birthday wonderful. A definite must-see for Elton fans.  I rate it a 10 plus.   

Esteemed Contributor

@TheRealOneForSure 

Welcome to the forum and 

93595EF1-6D74-4B7E-8411-272D2E22AA1D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Alter Ego wrote:
Finally saw it last night (had no idea that I got a discount on Tuesday for being AMC Stubs member!!)

Anyways, I appreciated learning from you that it was in a musical format going in. Loved the opening scenes - beautifully shot with him in his devil suit. I enjoyed it quite a bit and agree that I didn’t see anything particularly graphic. Was that really what was responsible for the R rating, which is what I’ve read? Or the drug use? I also know that there was some swearing, but I don’t remember a lot of it (at least, so much that I noticed.) I was also surprised by all the people that stayed for ending credits. The very end of the credits and not just the photos of Elton! (Included a nice acknowledgement to Bob Mackie.)

At one point, the woman next to me fell asleep.

@Alter Ego   I'm not a stubs member.  However, all our AMC theaters are $5 all day on Tuesday (which is why i was going to wait to see it on Tues. but realized it was playing at a Cinemark where I had a free pass anyway so I saw it over the weekend).

@TheRealOneForSure   Welcome - I enjoyed reading your post.  And happy birthday (I'm older than you - definitely a Baby Boomer though and remember when Elton first came on the scene). I've loved his music since my first hearing of Your Song.

Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I saw Rocketman today and it was great.  I must have missed the "graphic scenes" people were complaining about because I did not see them.  I have a hard time sitting still for a movie and the two hours were over before I knew it.  There were all of 8 people there for the early show (10:30 am).  If you like Elton John's music I highly recommend this movie.  

@DiAnne  I saw the movie the day it came out.  Went to a 1:15 pm showing and it, too, was pretty empty.  Maybe about 30 people in the audience.  I also noticed that everyone was old.  Haha  At 62, I think I was one of the youngest there.  

Contributor

Bless your heart and thank you for the birthday wishes. Every one is a blessing and a gift. Just found out that a dear friend passed away this morning. Always grateful for a new day.