Honored Contributor

Re: Rocketman (Elton John Biopic)

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Yes Elton is very honest about his life. And being a gay man I assume he wanted that depicted honestly, and he has the right to that. Other than extremely graphic scenes sex scenes in movies don't bother me either. I understand why they can bother others though. As long as it's the same standard for man/woman scenes. Extreme violence bothers me so much more. I left the John Wick movie because the violence was sickening. Have never seen the previous movies, so that was just foolish ignorance on my part.

He's such a talented, interesting,  philanthropic person. And he's been in a relationship and marriage that has lasted longer than so many between men and women.

I saw him once in concert. Even in the last row of the balcony in an arena, it was fabulous. His autobiography is coming out too, I think in October? I follow him on Instagram and I remember him posting about it.

@Greeneyedlady21   I remember when he married a woman named Renata.  That didn't last very long (not surprisingly).  And it wasn't very honest of him.

Respected Contributor

I saw Elton John in his Yellow Brick Road concert about 5 years ago. What a performer or should I say artiist. He never took a break. A night that I will always remember. Looking forward to seeing Rocketman.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

Yes Elton is very honest about his life. And being a gay man I assume he wanted that depicted honestly, and he has the right to that. Other than extremely graphic scenes sex scenes in movies don't bother me either. I understand why they can bother others though. As long as it's the same standard for man/woman scenes. Extreme violence bothers me so much more. I left the John Wick movie because the violence was sickening. Have never seen the previous movies, so that was just foolish ignorance on my part.

He's such a talented, interesting,  philanthropic person. And he's been in a relationship and marriage that has lasted longer than so many between men and women.

I saw him once in concert. Even in the last row of the balcony in an arena, it was fabulous. His autobiography is coming out too, I think in October? I follow him on Instagram and I remember him posting about it.

@Greeneyedlady21   I remember when he married a woman named Renata.  That didn't last very long (not surprisingly).  And it wasn't very honest of him.

Many gay people in decades gone by tried to deny what they were and married people of the opposite sex.  It was a painful time for them. I don't consider it dishonest. I consider it just one more facet of their struggle for acceptance.

Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
I stand corrected! I want you to be singing "Crocodile Rock" now! Hahaha
I totally believed Bohemian Rhapsody BECAUSE it had Brian May et al behind it.
But I read the true story behind the movie just now...urged on by you singing sad Elton John songs...and I am really surprised at all the inaccuracies. I had NO idea! I thought Rami Malek was astoundingly good as Freddy...but I just didn't realize how fictional the story is!
I am now singing "Under Pressure." Please join me, my friend. 💜
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Totally with you, @shaggygirl.  I have never appreciated explicit scenes in film--  and agree that it is not attributable to age. 

It's a matter of aesthetics, among other things.  Such scenes feel clunky to me onscreen;  I feel sorry for actors having to simulate the most private, personal-- and sacred-- moments between human beings.  It feels like an invitation to voyeurism.

And to me it's creepy when productions (overtly or secretly) cross the line completely to reality.  I remember being repelled at the report, after having seen the movie, that the love scenes between Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie in "Don't Look Now" may not have been simulated, but actual.  If true, apparently there was some tricky editing.   

In the old days they just showed ocean waves instead of explicit sex scenes.  You got the drift.....and That was fine. Why do movies and even TV  now feel the need To cross the line with going too far?  It is not necessary.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long article today in the NY Post - with photos - about Elton's brief marriage to Renata.  It's quite interesting.  Last paragraph of the long article is a quote from Elton: 

"A drug addict thinks like this: ‘I’ve had enough boyfriends and that’s not made me happy, so I’ll have a wife; that will change everything.’ And I loved Renate. She’s a great girl. I ­really, really loved her. But, you know. It is one of the things I regret most in my life, hurting her.” 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

I saw Elton John in his Yellow Brick Road concert about 5 years ago. What a performer or should I say artiist. He never took a break. A night that I will always remember. Looking forward to seeing Rocketman.

@50Mickey  I saw in Vegas. It was a fantastic show.

Honored Contributor

I didn't buy it but I saw a special Life Magazine today about Elton and Rocketman. All those magazines are very expensive, but if anyone is interested.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will go. I believe Elton John and Bernie Taupin are historically one of the best songwriting teams of the 20th century, and Elton is still performing in the 21st. The lyrics, the melodies, the vocals...outstanding.  He has an interesting backstory of strained relationship with a father, self doubts, artistic talent, a struggle with his own identity, and not just sexual, drug abuse, suicidal tendencies, discrimmination and homophobic attacks, a hetero sexual marriage, then a homosexual one,  a wild wild flamboyant side, and a charitable side. At this point in his life, he has found happiness and triumph. To me very few explicit sex scenes are actually needed to progress the story, but I won't be stopped from seeing any film because of that. Does it have an X rating? It not, then it can't be THAT graphic. I'm sure there is more in the film besides coupling romps in various scenarios. And the music will be fabulous. I have Elton's music in every form: vinyl, tape, CD, and digital. Love it all.

Esteemed Contributor

@50Mickey wrote:

Ah, my favorite album. Not a bad song on it, and one we can all sing along to.