Honored Contributor

Re: Rocketman (Elton John Biopic)

Yes Elton is very honest about his life. And being a gay man I assume he wanted that depicted honestly, and he has the right to that. Other than extremely graphic scenes sex scenes in movies don't bother me either. I understand why they can bother others though. As long as it's the same standard for man/woman scenes. Extreme violence bothers me so much more. I left the John Wick movie because the violence was sickening. Have never seen the previous movies, so that was just foolish ignorance on my part.

He's such a talented, interesting,  philanthropic person. And he's been in a relationship and marriage that has lasted longer than so many between men and women.

I saw him once in concert. Even in the last row of the balcony in an arena, it was fabulous. His autobiography is coming out too, I think in October? I follow him on Instagram and I remember him posting about it.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@LoriLori
So perfectly said, per usual. I cannot believe you saw Elton John and John Lennon at Madison Square Garden...that is such a dream billing. Wow!
(I think they ultimately recorded "Whatever Gets You Through the Night" together.)
Elton John and Bernie Taupin wrote "Empty Garden" as a tribute to John Lennon, after he was murdered. It is such a heartbreaking and beautiful song. Whenever I hear it, I cry.
@Greeneyedlady21 I love your post too! I had no idea Elton John is writing an autobiography. Fabulous!!
Valued Contributor

I have no desire to see it but just found out that Jamie Bell from "Billy Elliot" plays Bernie Taupin in "Rocketman".  I LOVED "Billy Elliot", that was a great movie & Jamie Bell was amazing!

Honored Contributor

It's out on October 15th 

9781250147608_p0_v5_s550x406.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

I don't care about watching two men having sex.  Does nothing for me and doesn't bother me.

I love Queen.  I love Freddie Mercury.   I have issues with  Bohemian Rhapsody because they did not portray Freddie Mercury honestly.  IMO it was a money grab on the part of the band members and won't see it.  I'm appalled they want to make a sequel and I sincerely hope Ramie Malik says no.

I love Elton.  Growing up in NY I was so lucky to see him at Madison Square Garden the night John Lennon joined him onstage.  My first concert at the Garden,, at a young age.  It was amazing

I love Elton's honesty and his heart.  His generosity.  His incredible performance at Princess Di's funeral.  His long relationship, now marriage, and fatherhood.  He's had a great life story.  

And I love his involvement in and commitment to the movie including casting.  He wanted it made in his lifetime.  He wanted someone who could sing for himself.  And he wanted it to tell the truth.

@LoriLori  I've had this discussion about Bohemian Rhapsody with a friend who had business dealings with Freddie- she also said the film didn't depict him accurately. But honestly, Brian May and Roger Taylor were involved with the film and gave it their stamp of approval. If it was that far from Freddie they wouldn't have done so.

In terms of the timeline of events in the script, there were several instances  of  'poetic license'. But I think it was pretty true to Freddie himself.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

I don't care about watching two men having sex.  Does nothing for me and doesn't bother me.

I love Queen.  I love Freddie Mercury.   I have issues with  Bohemian Rhapsody because they did not portray Freddie Mercury honestly.  IMO it was a money grab on the part of the band members and won't see it.  I'm appalled they want to make a sequel and I sincerely hope Ramie Malik says no.

I love Elton.  Growing up in NY I was so lucky to see him at Madison Square Garden the night John Lennon joined him onstage.  My first concert at the Garden,, at a young age.  It was amazing

I love Elton's honesty and his heart.  His generosity.  His incredible performance at Princess Di's funeral.  His long relationship, now marriage, and fatherhood.  He's had a great life story.  

And I love his involvement in and commitment to the movie including casting.  He wanted it made in his lifetime.  He wanted someone who could sing for himself.  And he wanted it to tell the truth.

@LoriLori  I've had this discussion about Bohemian Rhapsody with a friend who had business dealings with Freddie- she also said the film didn't depict him accurately. But honestly, Brian May and Roger Taylor were involved with the film and gave it their stamp of approval. If it was that far from Freddie they wouldn't have done so.

In terms of the timeline of events in the script, there were several instances  of  'poetic license'. But I think it was pretty true to Freddie himself.

@Ibby114. I heard that Brian May and Roger Taylor wanted the film about the band itself, not Freddie.

Honored Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

I have no desire to see it but just found out that Jamie Bell from "Billy Elliot" plays Bernie Taupin in "Rocketman".  I LOVED "Billy Elliot", that was a great movie & Jamie Bell was amazing!

@tipsy   you may or may not know this:  Elton John wrote the music for the musical "Billy Elliott."

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@Ibby114. I heard that Brian May and Roger Taylor wanted the film about the band itself, not Freddie.

From everything I know it was definitely about them.  @proudlyfromNJ  they took way too much "poetic license" for my taste. 

It should have been about Freddie, that's where the story is, and his life was much more interesting than they dared to show. 

And "poetic license" about his AIDS is not okay with me or those who loved him in real life.

Maybe they did it to leave room for the sequel, who knows.  Like I said, I hope Rami Malek says no and then they can really make it ALL about themselves, like they wanted.

I'm so sorry Freddie's gone.  I'm so glad Elton's not.

Valued Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@tipsy wrote:

@tipsy   you may or may not know this:  Elton John wrote the music for the musical "Billy Elliott."

@LoriLori No, I didn't know that about the musical. So they didn't use the 80's music from the movie?  For me that was an integral part of the movie...the music from T. Rex, the Clash, the Jam, etc...It would have been disappointing to me if I went to the musical expecting to hear those awsome 80's songs!  Since "Billy Elliot" took place in the 80's that music was relevant.  Glad I just stuck with the movie!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ :  When I was in my twenties, working for USO in Okinawa, I too dated a local DJ.  Using that "in"I met Jane Fonda and Donald Sutherland.  They eventually left Okinawa in order to fly to Hanoi (the rest is history).