Honored Contributor

Rocketman (Elton John Biopic)

Did anyone go over the weekend and see the advance screening of this Elton John bio?  I really want to see it but am going to wait for Memorial Day weekend and just buy tickets at the box office.  I thought about going to the Friday evening advance screening but didn't want to get tickets online from Fandango which we were supposed to do, and pay the "service fee" too.   

I really want to see this though.  Has anyone seen it?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rocketman (Elton John Biopic)

I love Elton John's music but I get uncomfortable at the movies when there are explicit s** scenes and I've read that this one has them (ground breaking ones) so unfortunately I'm going to have to skip this one. Hope you'll do a review though after you've seen it.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl   I will, shaggygirl. 

I'm assuming the scene you would have trepidation about seeing is probably between two men?

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

I'm assuming the scene you would have trepidation about seeing is probably between two men?

Even between a man & a woman if it gets too explicit I get uncomfortable. So between two men I might get even more so. Don't know, never sat through it with two males. Even here at home alone I tried watching the Fifty Shades movies and I made it through but felt....just not right. Looked away a few times! My old age maybe?

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Even between a man & a woman if it gets too explicit I get uncomfortable. So between two men I might get even more so. Don't know, never sat through it with two males. Even here at home alone I tried watching the Fifty Shades movies and I made it through but felt....just not right. Looked away a few times! My old age maybe?

I don't think that it has anything to do with age. It's just not your cup of tea.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Totally with you, @shaggygirl.  I have never appreciated explicit scenes in film--  and agree that it is not attributable to age. 

It's a matter of aesthetics, among other things.  Such scenes feel clunky to me onscreen;  I feel sorry for actors having to simulate the most private, personal-- and sacred-- moments between human beings.  It feels like an invitation to voyeurism.

And to me it's creepy when productions (overtly or secretly) cross the line completely to reality.  I remember being repelled at the report, after having seen the movie, that the love scenes between Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie in "Don't Look Now" may not have been simulated, but actual.  If true, apparently there was some tricky editing.   

Esteemed Contributor

I want to see it @Pearlee but I can wait until it comes out at Redbox.

I get great deals with renting movies there and can watch it in a month

or two in the privacy of my own home.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   Every once in a while I'll come across an article that mentions all the films (not just Don't Look Now, in which the sex scenes were not simulated but were real.

By the way, that film you mention creeped me out for a lot of other reasons.  It was bizarre and just -----creepy!

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Oznell   Every once in a while I'll come across an article that mentions all the films (not just Don't Look Now, in which the sex scenes were not simulated but were real.

By the way, that film you mention creeped me out for a lot of other reasons.  It was bizarre and just -----creepy!

Another movie was Boxcar Bertha with David Carradine and Barbara Hershey.

As far as the movie Rocketman, I have no desire to see it.  Elton John fan, just no desire to see the movie.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Why would you assume that?