Honored Contributor

@amyb wrote:

Darn....I don't get TCM anymore. Ya know...each year my cable goes up and they take more channels away. 🙄

I would have liked to have it on today while doing things around the house.

Well, enjoy!

I lost it too in Dec of 2019. But I contacted TCM about it , and they didnt care in the least, I am not giving Comcast another 10 a month to get it back, really they repeat the same films over and over and over.  

Respected Contributor

@catter70  Thank you for heads up - just set recorder for my very, very favourite movie 'Out of Africa'  plus could not resist Butch Cassidy.  Many thanks.

Honored Contributor

I "popped in" on The Candidate every few moments after seeing your message (thank you), and I was thrilled to see in the background some of the old D.C. that I knew and loved.

Thought I saw most of the marquee of  the Californian Steak House, which was frequented by visiting and local musicians.  We used to stop by when I visited D.C. from my neighboring small town. 

It all made me very nostalgic and a bit glum.  Still, I enjoyed it in my sadness.

Honored Contributor

Re: Robert Redford

[ Edited ]

Very likely, some of you noticed something that I realized for the first time today.  While dipping in and out of The Way We Were, a film that is like catnip to me, I realized that Katie and Hubbell said the same thing to one another at the start of and what was probably the end of (the last time they would see one another) their relationship.

While in college, Hubbell called Katie over to join him one evening as he sat at a restaurant's outside dining area and she joined him (having been impressed by his short story that had been read in class).  He told her that he had recently sold one of his stories.  Her opinion of him as an individual was slowly becoming as positive as her physical attraction to him.  He, in turn, began to feel some stirrings of attraction to her during this brief encounter.  Up to this point, they regarded one another as an alien creature even though they were intrigued by one another.

That evening, they found some common ground and mutual attraction.  Their relationship was beginning to form.  When Katie left, she said, "See ya."  Hubbell responded with the same statement:  "See ya."

At the close of the movie, when it becomes clear that Hubbell believes he is simply unable to handle (I suppose emotionally) seeing Katie with their daughter and Katie's new husband, they leave one another with the same farewell.  The viewer understands that these two will most likely never see one another again (a puzzle, but that's what's presented).  He quietly says, "See ya, Katie."  She barely gets out, "See ya, Hubbell."

Not until today did I become aware of the bookends of their love. 

"See ya."

Respected Contributor

I bet a lot of you didn't know I wrote the lyrics for the theme song!!!

Just kidding of course.....but when I hear it, I remember the way I was with one special person...

We are still friends, but it can never be any more than that.

I love that movie.

Esteemed Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Very likely, some of you noticed something that I realized for the first time today.  While dipping in and out of The Way We Were, a film that is like catnip to me, I realized that Katie and Hubbell said the same thing to one another at the start of and what was probably the end of (the last time they would see one another) their relationship.

While in college, Hubbell called Katie over to join him one evening as he sat at a restaurant's outside dining area and she joined him (having been impressed by his short story that had been read in class).  He told her that he had recently sold one of his stories.  Her opinion of him as an individual was slowly becoming as positive as her physical attraction to him.  He, in turn, began to feel some stirrings of attraction to her during this brief encounter.  Up to this point, they regarded one another as as alien creature even though they were intrigued by one another.

That evening, they found some common ground and mutual attraction.  Their relationship was beginning to form.  When Katie left, she said, "See ya."  Hubbell responded with the same statement:  "See ya."

At the close of the movie, when it becomes clear that Hubbell believes he is simply unable to handle (I suppose emotionally) seeing Katie with their daughter and Katie's new husband, they leave one another with the same farewell.  The viewer understands that these two will most likely never see one another again (a puzzle, but that's what's presented).  He quietly says, "See ya, Katie."  She barely gets out, "See ya, Hubbell."

Not until today did I become aware of the bookends to their love. 

"See ya."

@golding76   As many times as I've seen this movie,  and it's many ,  I never put that together !  Great observation!     That end of that movie never fails to bring on the tears with the music soaring in the background and the obvious love still there,   at least that's how I like to see it,  though they both did moved on .   I had a real life similar situation years ago , it was a movie date incidentally for this very movie  ,  also never saw him again.   

Honored Contributor

The end with Katie stroking his hair is almost unbearable for me to watch, and also the scene where she is up all night crying to him and she says he is her best friend, and if they stay together, why couldnt they both win !!!

Honored Contributor

HUBBLE!!!!

Women Drool - MGTOW - YouTube