Honored Contributor

👍🏾 Rise of Empires: Ottoman S1 & 2 👍🏾

Netflix Turkish historical docudrama series.

It deals with the Ottoman Empire and Mehmed the Conqueror and tells the story of the Fall of Constantinople.

The second season also has 6 episodes and premiered on 29 December 2022, focusing on the 1462 campaign against Vlad the Impaler in Wallachia.

The series is narrated by various historians.

The battle scenes were so realistic, it was like having a front row seat on the battlefield watching.  I swear some blood & guts droplets got on my face.  The battle scene(s) choreographers deserve an Emmy!.

This docudrama is NOT for the faint hearted pearl clutchers.  Plenty of gore, blood & guts, especially in S2 dealing w/Vlad the Impaler.  Even I was Smiley Surprised & faint.gifat some of the scenes which takes some doing.  Otherwise, if you are a fan of historical docudramas this series is for you!

I binge watched both seasons in 48 hours.

Rating:  proxy-image.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 👍🏾 Rise of Empires: Ottoman S1 & 2 👍🏾

Thanks for the recommendation.  I am not a fan of blood and gore, but certainly like to learn about history.  Usually easier to do so by watching a good documentary/docudrama rather than reading a long book.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac @Thanks for posting. I saw this option but I have not watched it. It sounds like my kind of series! I foresee a weekend binge....

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac , love your review!  Thanks for posting.  I will definitely be tuning in.  I loved The Vikings but found some of those parts cringe worthy so too I suspect I will be looking away from some of it.  LM

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the review!  I'll check it out.  Sounds so much better than Ken Burns.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love history but know very little about this era in history.

However, I find scenes of extreme violence extremely upsetting.  I remember my horror watching “Saving Private Ryan.”  Violence like that shakes me to my soul.

My question:  Why is it necessary to go to such extremes?

Some might say it is historically correct,  but I think I can understand the history without going into gory detail.

Just my belief.  I know others have a different view.  But please no accusation of being a “pearl clutcher.”

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

My question:  Why is it necessary to go to such extremes? 

So as NOT to glorify..........

Some might say it is historically correct,  but I think I can understand the history without going into gory detail.

@PamfromCT  The particular time (centuries) when this story takes place was a very bloody period which was considered normal due to conquerors from the east warring their way through "western" Europe.

You really cannot understand history as to what REALLY goes on in these wars or what the historical figures were really like without a full explaination either through words or sight. 

If SPR horrified you,  this series is not for you.  You probably would not make it past the 1st episode which sets up the whole series for the main character.  You would do best by reading up on the characters on what they were "really" like.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Thank you for the review!  I'll check it out.  Sounds so much better than Ken Burns.

173836.gif

@ValuSkr  The narrators are NO Ken Burns.  Just the opposite.  They do not p___y foot around or glorify the situations.

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT   I also enjoy reading and learning about history,

but feel the same way about graphic depiction of violence and

bloody gore. I think that it is unecessary, but some people enjoy

it.

The ancient Romans loved seeing it at the Coloseum. Others enjoyed going to hangings or burnings, in later eras.