Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@froggy wrote:

I can't manage to feel sorry for Ricki Lake.

@froggy 

That's really sad that you feel no compassion for others.

I have compassion for the millions who are so much more worse off. Celebrity sob stories don't move me.

LOL! Okay so you only have compassion for those who you deem worthy, by your standards, of your compassion......got it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I think it's great she confronted her internal issues head on.  Not sure how it helps by making it public though.  None the less, good for her.

It may well help someone else experiencing the same thing. We keep so many things secret and that serves to make us feel isolated and more ashamed or embarrassed, especially when it appears that everyone else around us isn't facing similar struggles. If you're losing your hair and go on social media and everyone is only posting their best shots of good hair days with extensions and edits, imagine how that might feel.

I'm glad we live in an age where people are speaking up about things like this and talking about illness, depression, anxiety, miscarriages, and other things that people have hidden away for so long are being talked about and people feel safer talking about their own struggles with these things.

Respected Contributor

I'm not a fan of that look on most women, but it is their choice. If it makes her feel better about herself, and is happy with it, then that's all that matters.

Respected Contributor

Loved her on her talk show and in all her movies!  She looks great to me!

Honored Contributor

I don't know anything about her real life struggles or issues.  If coming forward in this very public way makes her feel better about what she is dealing with, then good for her.  If she feels this will make other woman feel more secure and confident about themselves regarding their hair loss issues, then it's a positive thing.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Next she'll announce she got a tattoo.

I think she's struggled all her life with..... something.

Here is  just another iteration.

So many of us "normal" people struggle with all kinds of problems, but when a celebrity has the experience, we must show compassion.   Uh, no thanks.

Honored Contributor

It's sad that she spent so many years struggling with and agonizing over something that is unimportant.  It's just hair. It's also likely that some of the things (like sewn in extensions) that she resorted to to hide her hair loss, only made it worse.  My sister had two brain surgeries and her hair didn't grow back after the second surgery.  She had two brain aneurysms and she never regretted or even worried about her hair loss.....she was just happy to be alive with no cognitive impairments.  She does wear wigs.  She has a wardrobe of wigs but she doesn't pretend they are her real hair.    A woman I once worked with survived breast cancer and then many years later colon cancer and  she had chemotherpay for both; to this day, she wears her thinning hair like a bad of courage.  Actually her head looks much like Ricki's except her hair is silver now.  She always wears big earrings and bright red lipstick.  I am happy that Ricki is free now and loves herself just as she is and accepts that hair does not define her.  I think it's good that she decided to go public with this because women who are struggling with hair issues usually do it in secret, privately and they feel like they are alone in that struggle.  When that is not true at all.

Honored Contributor

I wear a wig when I go out.  I still have lots of hair but it's thin.  It probably would look fine, but I like just throwing on the wig.

I have lots of people saying to me, "I love your hair".  Sometimes I act like I'm going to pick it up and I'll say (to strangers), "Here!  You want it".  When they look confused, I'll say, "It's a wig".

Doesn't bother me in the least.  It's short and it looks real.  It's just easy.

I think we should all do whatever works for them.  This is what I like to do, so I wear it.

I've given some away to people who are suffering from major hair loss.  They're all the same color and style.

Every few months I buy 2 new ones.  There's nothing wrong with the other ones.  I just buy new ones.

I'm glad she's doing what makes her feel better. 

Life is too short to live it unhappy.  

Honored Contributor

I just looked at her picture again.  I remember I used to watch her daytime talk show.

She talked a lot then about how she was fat and hated being fat.

It doesn't look like she's fat now (at least in the picture).

The article said something about she feels like her dieting caused SOME of her hair problems.

I just think she should do whatever makes her happy and her family happy.

My late husband used to say, "When mom is happy...we are happy".

Esteemed Contributor

I liked Rickii Lake before she became a media grabber. I watched the video with Robin Roberts. She talked about her hair loss and was thinking about writing a book or two. She said she was in a movie and needed to lose weight. She went on a 500 calorie diet for 5 weeks and lost twenty pounds. She mentioned her ex-husband who committed suicide. Also, her two boys are 18 and 22. 

My favorite movie was Baby Cakes. She did a great job in that film. I MHO, she has problems that need to be resolved without the look at me scenario.